Arashi on music-streaming services

Talk about Arashi's music and concerts. Album and concerts tracklists and song lists.

Moderator: Dyani

kazunari
PIKA☆NCHI
PIKA☆NCHI

Arashi on music-streaming services

Post by kazunari » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:42 am

Do you ever think about how much easier it would be if Arashi (or other JE groups) are on music-streaming platforms like Spotify, Apple Music? Recently I was thinking about this. I mainly use Spotify but would gladly move to Apple Music if they're on Apple Music haha.

(I posted this first on Top Secret but I felt like it would fit better here, sorry!)
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Re: Arashi on music-streaming services

Post by iheartaiba » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:07 pm

I had Spotify for about a month and it really sucked that I couldn't find many of my favourite Japanese artists/groups from there, including Arashi. I really don't get why Japanese artists/groups/record labels/whatnot try to keep their music from spreading around. Japan should seriously learn from South Korea...
kazunari
PIKA☆NCHI
PIKA☆NCHI

Post by kazunari » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:16 pm

iheartaiba wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:07 pm
I had Spotify for about a month and it really sucked that I couldn't find many of my favourite Japanese artists/groups from there, including Arashi. I really don't get why Japanese artists/groups/record labels/whatnot try to keep their music from spreading around. Japan should seriously learn from South Korea...
This is true but recently Spotify has been recommending me a lot of awesome indie artists and bands like mitsume, Cokiyu, cuushe, Hiroshi Fujiwara, and LUCKY TAPES.

JUDY AND MARY, Perfume, Utada Hikaru (only got to Spotify at the start of this year), Kyary Pamyu Pamyu, Momoclo Z, AKB48, Namie Amuro, etc. are on Spotify too. I really do wish Johnny's music were on Spotify. :( I would love to listen to TOKIO's, V6's, and Kinki Kids' earlier albums. Another artist I would like to see on Spotify is aiko.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:26 pm

It'd be awesome for international fans if we could stream Arashi (and other Johnny's) music and buy their songs and albums from places like iTunes.
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:11 pm

I listen to Spotify for non Japanese music. I found some Japan X stuff on there, which was probably old stuff, but I stopped listening after a while. When I first got into Arashi's music I did look for them on Spotify, and I found an artist that called themselves Arashi, but they were not Arashi. I have no idea what they were. This band did not have 5 hot Japanese men singing nor did it have their pictures anywhere. So, I had to look elsewhere. I'm glad I did find them otherwise I probably would not be the fan I am today.

I've thought about how much more Johnny's would benefit if they put their stuff on Spotify or iTunes. They would make more money, I think.
keioboylove
Lucky Man
Lucky Man

Post by keioboylove » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:45 am

Now this is just complete speculation, but I think that the reason that a lot of Japanese artists aren't on streaming sites is because single/album sales (particularly physical) are the biggest portion of their income. Western artists are on streaming services and they don't make as much money through album sales anymore, so they jack up their concert ticket sales and that's how they make money. Like 200 USD per ticket to see Lady Gaga for the nosebleed section, more if you want to be close to the stage. Pretty sure Arashi concert tickets are nowhere near that price (if you're able to get them) because their fans buy singles at 13~20 USD each and 29~40 USD for albums each. I don't know though, this is just how I think about it.
kazunari
PIKA☆NCHI
PIKA☆NCHI

Post by kazunari » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:42 pm

How much is a Spotify subscription in your country? I use another music-streaming platform which I only use when my kpop group is promoting. It's called Melon and I pay ~10.99 USD for a month. while Spotify is I think about ~3.8 USD since I have the Spotify for family.

I guess this is where kpop vs jpop vs american pop differ. Kpop fans mainly use Melon to support their faves because, adding to physical sales, it also determines how well they do in the charts. A lot of fights have started because of those hahaha. While american pop, like keioboylove has said, do it to promote their music since they don't do well in the physical sales anymore. And jpop are very focused on physical sales.
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Spotify premium is $9.99 monthly, but the 30 day trial is free. I probably won't ever upgrade to premium, even though going ad-less would be nice.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:02 pm

kazunari wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:42 pm
How much is a Spotify subscription in your country?

In Finland Spotify Premium is 9.99€/month. If you're a student then it's 4.99€/month.
yruvian
IROあせないで
IROあせないで

Post by yruvian » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:15 pm

I actually like being able to buy the physical CDs. Less chance of data disappearing... after having our home server burn out a few years ago (both the original AND the back-up in one day) and losing everything, I really prefer physical over download. Much easier to recover if you just rip those CDs back onto the music drive, though it... takes a while. I used to work in ICT for 12 years... and I really don't trust digital anymore. Technology is only nice as long as it works perfectly and it's too easy for it to fail.
ShirleyWade
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by ShirleyWade » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:24 pm

To be honest, it would be nice to have, not only Arashi but Johnny´s groups in more sites, such as spotify and so. But it would be nicer if their CDs could reach internationally, because it´s so expensive to buy them online from Japan...
I hope that Japan learns from South Korea. They shouldn´t limite themselves nationally.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:15 pm

keioboylove wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:45 am
Now this is just complete speculation, but I think that the reason that a lot of Japanese artists aren't on streaming sites is because single/album sales (particularly physical) are the biggest portion of their income. Western artists are on streaming services and they don't make as much money through album sales anymore, so they jack up their concert ticket sales and that's how they make money. Like 200 USD per ticket to see Lady Gaga for the nosebleed section, more if you want to be close to the stage. Pretty sure Arashi concert tickets are nowhere near that price (if you're able to get them) because their fans buy singles at 13~20 USD each and 29~40 USD for albums each. I don't know though, this is just how I think about it.

This is a very good point.
Do you happen to know if Japan has their own music streaming service? Y'know, something that's only available in Japan.

yruvian wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:15 pm
I actually like being able to buy the physical CDs. Less chance of data disappearing... after having our home server burn out a few years ago (both the original AND the back-up in one day) and losing everything, I really prefer physical over download. Much easier to recover if you just rip those CDs back onto the music drive, though it... takes a while. I used to work in ICT for 12 years... and I really don't trust digital anymore. Technology is only nice as long as it works perfectly and it's too easy for it to fail.
Physical CDs do have that extra something. Like, I never check a digital booklet but I surely go through physical booklets. But I'd still like to get music in digital format because a) I don't have room for CDs, b) I don't have a CD player and c) I mainly listen to music when I'm away from home so that means using a mp3 player.
kazunari
PIKA☆NCHI
PIKA☆NCHI

Post by kazunari » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:48 pm

pknumba1 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:26 pm
Spotify premium is $9.99 monthly, but the 30 day trial is free. I probably won't ever upgrade to premium, even though going ad-less would be nice.
Do you listen to music a lot? I have long commutes (when I was studying) so it really helped me a lot. I used to only get the get 3 months for the price of 1 and then switch back to free but now both my mom and younger sister are using Spotify and it's cheaper if we use the Spotify for Family.
yruvian wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:15 pm
I'm the opposite! I only have kpop albums and I only open them once (to check the random photocard) and then hide it away haha. Never played them, never even took them out from the CD case. I guess one factor is that I only have a laptop (11.6") so I can't rip the CD's.
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:13 pm

kazunari wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:48 pm

Do you listen to music a lot? I have long commutes (when I was studying) so it really helped me a lot. I used to only get the get 3 months for the price of 1 and then switch back to free but now both my mom and younger sister are using Spotify and it's cheaper if we use the Spotify for Family.
I do listen on Spotify quite often, like almost every day. Mostly while I'm cleaning or reading.
kazunari
PIKA☆NCHI
PIKA☆NCHI

Post by kazunari » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:43 pm

pknumba1 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:13 pm
I do listen on Spotify quite often, like almost every day. Mostly while I'm cleaning or reading.
Oh, man, the ads would kill me! Hahaha when I first got a Spotify account, I memorized all the ads because of how frequent they appear.
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:32 pm

kazunari wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:43 pm
Oh, man, the ads would kill me! Hahaha when I first got a Spotify account, I memorized all the ads because of how frequent they appear.
I mute them now, so I don't even listen to them.
alinnealinne
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by alinnealinne » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:48 pm

iheartaiba wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:15 pm

Physical CDs do have that extra something. Like, I never check a digital booklet but I surely go through physical booklets. But I'd still like to get music in digital format because a) I don't have room for CDs, b) I don't have a CD player and c) I mainly listen to music when I'm away from home so that means using a mp3 player.
This is true...I received an Arashi CD as a gift once, but I now realize I've only gazed preciously at it, but never once actually listened to it. :/ Here's to hoping Johnny's would adapt to the sharing economy soon, though! Streaming would be a lot more convenient. I've had to dig out an old music player just to listen to Arashi.
kazunari
PIKA☆NCHI
PIKA☆NCHI

Post by kazunari » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:54 pm

Haha it's the same for me! I have to listen them on my barely hanging on iPod touch. And ever since I started using Spotify (and Melon), I feel guilty listening to pirated copies of music hahaha.
mikachan
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by mikachan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:41 pm

Since I never use streaming services, I don't care that JE doesn't co-operate with them. I also wouldn't start using them just because Arashi were available. I prefer my old, trusted mp3-player :)
Nightshadow
Aibaka Moderator
Aibaka Moderator

Post by Nightshadow » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:06 am

I'm all for being able to buy digital releases, because then I would be able to own the music and listen to it whenever and wherever I want to. It would be legal and I wouldn't have to search that much to find an album. But I'd never get Spotify or other streaming services, not for Arashi or any of the bands I like. In my opinion, these services are very expensive, and then if I'm on the go, I have to pay the internet fee and I have to be in a place with good speed internet or it just won't work. I wouldn't be able to listen to music on the subway, and paying that much? No thanks, I want to listen to music whenever I want to, with no restrictions. I buy credit for my phone, whenever I have the money, so paying for data is not cheap. I don't know if this is a possibility in other countries, here you can either buy credit or pay every month. Since I don't use my phone for much, I normally don't have credit at all.

There's Line music, and like everything Line, it's Japanese. I had it for a couple of weeks or so when they launched it in Mexico and it was free, but I didn't like it. I think it had I want to change the world by V6, but it had no Arashi. There were some Japanese and Korean artists. I tried listening to new music only, but I still got bored with it, I'd rather discover new music with YouTube, it's practically the same thing, at least for me, and I've found awesome music in YouTube, whereas I found nothing too memorable in Line Music.