Sho's English

Moderator: mclam01

mclam01
Aibaka Moderator
Aibaka Moderator

Sho's English

Post by mclam01 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:37 am

What does everyone think of Sho's English? I know he's pretty fluent. The first time I heard him speak it was during the Yatterman interview in New York. I thought he was pretty good, and it was very interesting to hear how his voice changed.

So, how fluent do you think Sho is?
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Re: Sho's English

Post by pknumba1 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:44 pm

I think Sho has a pretty good understanding of English. I'd say intermediate-level. It's a little weird to hear him speak it because of his accent and emphasis on certain words, but that's how everyone else is with English as a second language. He's bold once he gains confidence in it.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:17 pm

I think his English is decent. Good enough. He's probably a bit like me (and everyone else who isn't a native English speaker or didn't major in English): you understand English just fine, you make some mistakes when you write but the hardest part is talking. Words just sound so much better in your head than when you actually say them lol

pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:24 pm

iheartaiba wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:17 pm
I think his English is decent. Good enough. He's probably a bit like me (and everyone else who isn't a native English speaker or didn't major in English): you understand English just fine, you make some mistakes when you write but the hardest part is talking. Words just sound so much better in your head than when you actually say them lol

That's how I am when I speak French, but it just takes practice. My French has gotten rusty over the years, but I understand it still to a point.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:31 pm

^ True. That probably applies to every language that is not your native language. My sister minors in English. After about 25cr her English is so good. Shows that you just need to practice and practice (and have a native speaker as a teacher imo).

Sho doesn't use/have to use (spoken) English often and I think that explains why he may not now sound as good as he did some years ago.
jxhide
IROあせないで
IROあせないで

Post by jxhide » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:16 pm

Are there videos where you can hear Sho has a long conversation in English? I've only heard when he speaks a line or 2 here and there.
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:23 pm

jxhide wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:16 pm
Are there videos where you can hear Sho has a long conversation in English? I've only heard when he speaks a line or 2 here and there.
There's this one where he speaks in intro in English. It is rehearsed but it sounds great.

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Brlbvr519E&index=22&list=LLbFo213rSvL0eiTVf1k-V_w
And there's this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2a1nRaIBHE
There's also the new year's episode when he had a segment with Miranda Kerr where he spoke quite a bit of English. Some of the time, he might have switched back to Japanese so someone else translated for her, but I think a good section of it he spoke in English.
Last edited by iheartaiba on Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added code tags.
jxhide
IROあせないで
IROあせないで

Post by jxhide » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:00 pm

pknumba1 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:23 pm
jxhide wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:16 pm
There's this one where he speaks in intro in English. It is rehearsed but it sounds great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Brlbvr519E&index=22&list=LLbFo213rSvL0eiTVf1k-V_w
And there's this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2a1nRaIBHE
There's also the new year's episode when he had a segment with Miranda Kerr where he spoke quite a bit of English. Some of the time, he might have switched back to Japanese so someone else translated for her, but I think a good section of it he spoke in English.
His accent sounds ok in the YouTube clip but mostly memorized lines I think. I should watch the Miranda Kerr episode😊. Sho I didn’t know you went to NY comic con!!
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:06 am

Oh the NY comic con was yyeeaaarrrsss ago. It was for the Yatterman movie. It seems like so long ago because it was 2009. I was still in college back then.
keioboylove
Lucky Man
Lucky Man

Post by keioboylove » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:14 pm

The Miranda Kerr episode was so cute. It really showed that not all of his English is memorized, and that he can speak (I've seen people accuse him of just memorizing scripts and not actually being able to speak). He was caught so off-guard XD
ShoKitten
IROあせないで
IROあせないで

Post by ShoKitten » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:29 pm

Ohhh, I need to find and watch that episode too! I think his English is pretty decent. I like his accent, I think it's very charming and his pronunciation is pretty good. I love hearing him speak English so I'm naturally biased ^_^ :heart:
amnosbands
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by amnosbands » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:11 pm

I think he understands english normally. I think, he understands it more better than speaking it. The important thing is he is able to communicate with people more, i guess.
yupina
IROあせないで
IROあせないで

Post by yupina » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:26 am

I need to watch that Miranda Kerr episode again. think his English is quite decent. His pronunciation is pretty good and it seems that his understanding of English is pretty wide too.
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:11 pm

I think it's funny when he corrects other people's English sometimes. He might even correct mine. XD
spaask
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by spaask » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:43 pm

I think his English overall is very decent - if thinking in the context that he is Japanese, then I would say his English is very good.
And yes, the Miranda Kerr episode is SO amazing. But I also love the episode of AniShi when they have Sumire as guest and she teaches them English. That is actually where I really was impressed by Sho's English skills. He didn't fall in the same trap as some of the others when it came to pronunciation :)

pknumba1: Uhhhh when did he correct other people's English? I want to watch that! :D
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:26 am

spaask wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:43 pm
pknumba1: Uhhhh when did he correct other people's English? I want to watch that! :D
One moment I can think of myself was during the Kokora no Sora PV making. Arashi was having a break and having an interview and Aiba was trying to remember the name of "Up to You" and Sho helped him with it. That could've just been Sho helping him remember the name more than helping him think of the English. Also when Sho pointed out to Nino that "gentle" is spelled with a "g" and not a "J" like Nino keeps implying Jun as "Jentle J". Those are just my moments. There are probably other times in the past but I haven't caught any. Perhaps other fans have.
spaask
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by spaask » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:34 pm

pknumba1 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:26 am
spaask wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:43 pm
One moment I can think of myself was during the Kokora no Sora PV making. Arashi was having a break and having an interview and Aiba was trying to remember the name of "Up to You" and Sho helped him with it. That could've just been Sho helping him remember the name more than helping him think of the English. Also when Sho pointed out to Nino that "gentle" is spelled with a "g" and not a "J" like Nino keeps implying Jun as "Jentle J". Those are just my moments. There are probably other times in the past but I haven't caught any. Perhaps other fans have.
Oh my God! I never noticed that! I have to re-watch the Kokoro no Sora PV making now XD
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:26 pm

spaask wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:34 pm
Oh my God! I never noticed that! I have to re-watch the Kokoro no Sora PV making now XD
It's like 2 seconds and they're talking about songs they dance to. I think it's in that part.
spaask
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by spaask » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:12 pm

pknumba1 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:26 pm
spaask wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:34 pm
It's like 2 seconds and they're talking about songs they dance to. I think it's in that part.
Thank you so much pknumba1 :D
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:40 pm

spaask wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:12 pm
Thank you so much pknumba1 :D
Not a problem. :)