IROあせないで
IROあせないで

Re: Totally Random Talk Thread

Post by forror » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:49 pm

pknumba1 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:56 pm
forror wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:19 pm
I had drifted away from Arashi years ago - I can't even pinpoint when. 2011-2012, I think. I recently got a new laptop and decided to do a bit of a purge of all my files. I had held onto the drama purely out of nostalgia, but I rewatched it for the first time in years and it doesn't quite hold the same allure. So I decided to let go. I'll always have my memory of falling in love with the drama and with Arashi (plus Jun in his leopard print dressing gown). And that's enough for me.
So, what made you come back? Sorry if you already mentioned this.
Back to Arashi...? Aibakaland? If the former, I never did, I'm afraid. I had moved onto Kanjani8 by that point, and within a year or two, I stopped following J-pop altogether. I think life/work just overtook a lot of things (excuse really), and I just never made the commitment to stick with the fandom especially as Johnny made things a little more arduous for the international fans. Again, if I had been a little more devoted, this wouldn't have been a problem.

As for Aibakaland, it occupies a little special place for me. I followed the forum since late 07/early 08, before you had to register and it was one of the first places that introduced me to the wonders of Arashi. The forum moved at some point and that time coincided with the time I felt was in the deepest hole. I was under a different username at the time and became much more active, interacting with various members, and we'd send Christmas cards to each other. It just gave me something to hold onto, I guess... Then the forum moved another one or two more times, and I've managed to stick around! The forum was one of the things that helped keep me afloat during my darkest times. Whilst I can't say I'll ever be fully out of it, I'm in a much more contented position for now and I don't think I can ever really fully abandon this place.

Plus, random good news (e.g. Nino getting married) still makes me feel giddy :)
pknumba1
Cool & Soul
Cool & Soul

Post by pknumba1 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:41 pm

forror wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:49 pm
As for Aibakaland, it occupies a little special place for me. I followed the forum since late 07/early 08, before you had to register and it was one of the first places that introduced me to the wonders of Arashi. The forum moved at some point and that time coincided with the time I felt was in the deepest hole. I was under a different username at the time and became much more active, interacting with various members, and we'd send Christmas cards to each other. It just gave me something to hold onto, I guess... Then the forum moved another one or two more times, and I've managed to stick around! The forum was one of the things that helped keep me afloat during my darkest times. Whilst I can't say I'll ever be fully out of it, I'm in a much more contented position for now and I don't think I can ever really fully abandon this place.
So, it's really a community thing. I see. I like that. :thumbsup:
forror
IROあせないで
IROあせないで

Post by forror » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:04 am

Hope everyone is taking good care, and is coping physically and mentally - at least no worse than usual.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:06 pm

forror wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:49 pm
As for Aibakaland, it occupies a little special place for me.
Awww :heart:

How's everyone doing in the midst of this chaos?
Please take care of yourself!
pknumba1
Cool & Soul
Cool & Soul

Post by pknumba1 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:19 pm

I was going to ask the same thing. Is everyone holding up? All of the schools in my state are closed until April 6th, as well as all dine-in restaurants and bars. The drive-thrus are still open though. As for me, I am grateful to still be working and getting an income, even though I'm working the morning shift. I hate mornings. I hate getting up before the sun rises. I love how people are very unsure of how to live, and I've been a hermit for most of my life.
yruvian
Lucky Man
Lucky Man

Post by yruvian » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:23 am

I've been confined to home for most of the last 9 years, so staying home isn't exactly new to me. Though it's hard without the weekly physio session to keep the pain under control, I'm sure I can handle that.

Over here everything except for grocery stores, apothecaries and newspaperstands is closed and you're not allowed to leave the house for anything but the necessary things, like grocery shopping. Radio and tv are transmitting special programs to keep moral up. The only way to communicate with family is through internet and phone.

My mental health is in the care of Arashi... even now their music, variety shows and concert DVDs give me distraction and support while increasing my Japanese vocabulary.

I do feel tired, but that's nothing new either. It's part of my normal health issues.
LateArashifan
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by LateArashifan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:12 pm

Here in Australia, everything is shutting down except for a few essential businesses and a lot of people have lost their jobs. There isn't nearly enough testing going on and people still aren't taking the isolation thing seriously. It's been weird and I have to admit I nearly started panicking and freaking out, just because everyone else was (and still is) panic/selfish buying here. A few times a day I would have to talk myself down before it escalated into a panic attack (haven't had one of those for a few years...). I've settled down now thankfully, and come to accept what's happening, although it's still difficult. I mean the staying at home isn't difficult. Like @pknumba1 I've been a hermit a lot of my life so that's easy, but my shopping trips are a 100km round trip so I can't just go check the supermarket everyday to get what I need. I'm down to my last roll of toilet paper, and I have two boxes of tissues as emergency. If I don't get any TP on Friday, I might just have to pull the garden hose through the toilet window xD
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:55 pm

I'm getting slightly worried about this:

The monthly bandwidth transfer for Aibakaland is usually 5GB. This month it's already over 18GB (94% of the maximum). I don't see any suspicious activity, but I also don't see members suddenly being active. Is everyone just lurking? I'm not gonna increase the bandwidth so if the forums suddenly go offline you know why.
yruvian
Lucky Man
Lucky Man

Post by yruvian » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:07 pm

Maybe people are checking in more often? I check in every day, but that's the same since before the Corona crisis. I have seen increased activity on my second home on the web though.
pknumba1
Cool & Soul
Cool & Soul

Post by pknumba1 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:59 pm

I do check about every day, or every other few days. If nothing has been updated since I last visited, then I leave. XD Sorry.
LateArashifan
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by LateArashifan » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:32 am

I have it pinned as a tab so it opens everytime I open Chrome, but I have been doing that for a year or more. I can unpin it if you like. Sorry if I've contributed to that :o
pknumba1
Cool & Soul
Cool & Soul

Post by pknumba1 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:03 am

The forum went on a quarantine for a few days. Looks like everything is alright again.
sandreen
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by sandreen » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:08 am

iheartaiba wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:54 pm
My anxiety has been really really bad. Well it's getting a bit better now, but from mid-Nov to mid-Jan I threw up almost every day because of anxiety. I could hardly leave my apartment 'cause I felt so awful. And then there's depression... :/
Sorry to hear it's still a struggle. :( I hope you're doing well rn!

----
I wonder when the outbreak will die down... I know people were joking about an outbreak happening at the start of the year, but who would've thought it would actually happen.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:25 pm

LateArashifan wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:32 am
I have it pinned as a tab so it opens everytime I open Chrome, but I have been doing that for a year or more. I can unpin it if you like. Sorry if I've contributed to that :o
That shouldn't matter, don't worry. The traffic tripled and even if all member checked the forums several times a day it shouldn't increase that much.

pknumba1 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:03 am
The forum went on a quarantine for a few days. Looks like everything is alright again.
Yeah the forums reached the monthly bandwidth transfer and I decided to just let it be 'cause March was almost over anyway lol

sandreen wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:08 am
iheartaiba wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:54 pm
My anxiety has been really really bad. Well it's getting a bit better now, but from mid-Nov to mid-Jan I threw up almost every day because of anxiety. I could hardly leave my apartment 'cause I felt so awful. And then there's depression... :/
Sorry to hear it's still a struggle. :( I hope you're doing well rn!
I'm doing much better now, thanks :)

sandreen wrote:
I wonder when the outbreak will die down... I know people were joking about an outbreak happening at the start of the year, but who would've thought it would actually happen.
One Finnish professor said this can last as long as three months and we're only talking about the first wave.

How are you guys doing? Is everyone alright?
pknumba1
Cool & Soul
Cool & Soul

Post by pknumba1 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:09 pm

iheartaiba wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:25 pm
sandreen wrote:
One Finnish professor said this can last as long as three months and we're only talking about the first wave.

Here, they're talking the peak could be in May, after everything just starts opening again. Tomorrow, my state governor is going to announce whether or not she's going to let the schools reopen for the remaining year or close them for the rest of it. This could be the defining moment for my job, as the superintendent of the school said he was not going to pay us for nothing. But we will see how it goes since we are still essential. I'm keeping my job for now, but I am looking at other jobs and keeping my options open. I do know I don't want to stay with this job long-term. It's not for me. It won't help me grow as a person.
sandreen
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by sandreen » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:28 am

iheartaiba wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:25 pm
I'm doing much better now, thanks :)

sandreen wrote:

Glad to hear it! Mostly just stuck at home for the past month, but have to venture out into the open once a week to get some fresh produce. Honestly, it's hard to order groceries online now, because there are always stuff suddenly out of stock and sometimes you have to wait days before it could arrive.
yruvian
Lucky Man
Lucky Man

Post by yruvian » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:07 pm

Stuck at home here too, but that's not too much different from usual. Only now all treatments have been cancelled as well and my brother is working from home which means less listening to Arashi. He likes them well enough, but not constantly.

I'm feeling more listless than usual though, I think it may be from worry, but I try to stay busy and only turn to tv-series in the late afternoon. If I didn't force myself into that habit, I'd be spending all day watching right now.

Over here the peak is expected this week or the next one. We passed 1000 deaths yesterday.
pknumba1
Cool & Soul
Cool & Soul

Post by pknumba1 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:52 pm

yruvian wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:07 pm
Over here the peak is expected this week or the next one. We passed 1000 deaths yesterday.
We have over 10,000 confirmed cases where I live, and over 400 deaths. The numbers are still expected to rise. I'm starting to wonder if I even have it, and I just don't have any symptoms. I did get pretty sick around New Year's, but I always get sick around that time of year so I might just be paranoid. Either way, I'm only leaving my place for work and getting essentials. Staying in all the time is not that foreign to me, but I am feeling some cabin fever come on.

Today was the first warm and sunny day in weeks. I brought my chair out and sat on my balcony and read from my book for a bit. The sum felt so warm I thought I was going to burn, so I put a hat on just in case.
forror
IROあせないで
IROあせないで

Post by forror » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:47 pm

Good to see the above and hope everyone is doing well, including friends and family.

I've never considered myself much of a people person, but I do despise having the choice of whether I wish to interact taken away from me. I've also got a housemate who is constantly fretting and bombarding the Whatsapp group, questioning me every time I step near the front door, and forcing me to wear ski goggles to the supermarket. I don't think I'm particularly careless/inconsiderate and have been abiding by the lockdown rules so I really don't appreciate the fearmongering and guilt-tripping I'm on the receiving end of.

To give myself a bit of a mental boost, I finally caved and got myself a Nintendo Switch and, fortunately, not from one of those unconscientious scalpers on Ebay!
pknumba1
Cool & Soul
Cool & Soul

Post by pknumba1 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:50 pm

I feel myself impulse buying things online, which is bad. But I have the money to pay for it, and that's not so bad. But impulse buying can bite me in the end, and that's bad.