K-drama recommendations

All about Korean music, dramas and films.

Moderator: iheartaiba

Forum rules
Tag your topic with [MUSIC], [DRAMA], [ACTOR], [ACTRESS] or [FILM]. For example, [DRAMA] Jumong.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

K-drama recommendations

Post by iheartaiba » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:55 pm

Share your k-drama recommendations here! A word or two why the drama is worth watching would be nice.

You can also ask for drama recommendations.
kazunari
PIKA☆NCHI
PIKA☆NCHI

Re: K-drama recommendations

Post by kazunari » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:45 pm

My favorite kdrama is It’s Okay That’s Love. I love it so much. The main characters are amazing but flawed in their own way. And the actors are amazing.

IOTL is about a writer and a psychiatrist living under the same roof. It’s about love and also tackles mental health issues. It’s honestly amazing and I cried every episode. Please watch it :)
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:41 pm

My k-drama recommendations (in a random order):

1. Jumong
  • Sageuk/historical drama. Back when historical dramas were, y'know, proper historical dramas. It's a long drama (81 episodes) but worth watching it. The story flows nicely, there is action, there is drama, you can see how characters grow... I love everything except Song Ji Hyo's character.

2. Mawang | The Devil
  • Korean Maou with a superb cast.

3. 1% of Anything (2016 version)
  • The story is quite typical. You have a jerk chaebol, contract dating, nice leading lady... But in this drama the leading couple has an amazing chemistry. Probably the best I've ever seen! And the leading lady isn't your typical candy girl.

4. The Fugitive: Plan B
  • Bi's drama from 2010. It's really fun action comedy and it's very easy to watch. Great acting, good music. Fun fact: Uehara Takako and Takenaka Naoto both appear in this drama.
mjunkuns
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by mjunkuns » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:26 pm

1% of anything was cute!!

Lately anything released on cable have good dramas. This year I'd recommend 'because this is my first life' and 'avengers social club' both have interesting theme and I guess life questions (?)
hplotr1996
Johnny's Jr

Post by hplotr1996 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:54 pm

there are two dramas I've seen lately that i would definitely recommend.

Chief Kim and Revolutionary Love.

Chief Kim was really a breath of fresh air, the lack of love story, the comedy and the plot which didnt cross the border of being too melodramatic and annoying. The acting was suburb and the chemistry the whole cast going on was definitely worth watching. I'd really recommend this to anyone because it was that enjoyable.

Revolutionary love was also really sweet. The twist on the whole rich cheabol and poor girl was nice. Having him be sweet and funny instead of the typical jerky tsundare was nice, it was also nice to see the love story there to rather change the injustice that happens due to the rich instead of it being the main driving point which is what the plot i feel usually gets lost in.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:08 pm

hplotr1996 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:54 pm

Chief Kim was really a breath of fresh air, the lack of love story, the comedy and the plot which didnt cross the border of being too melodramatic and annoying. The acting was suburb and the chemistry the whole cast going on was definitely worth watching. I'd really recommend this to anyone because it was that enjoyable.

Omg yes! Chief Kim! How did I forget it?! Imo the best drama from 2017.
hplotr1996
Johnny's Jr

Post by hplotr1996 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:11 am

iheartaiba wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:08 pm
hplotr1996 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:54 pm

Omg yes! Chief Kim! How did I forget it?! Imo the best drama from 2017.
I definitely second that! The comedy also killed me, because of this I went back and was watching clips of the drama again and honestly the main character is so well done, its so much fun to watch his antics on screen XD did you have any particular favourite scenes or characters? The bodyguards killed me with the whole D to the O thing to. Ah it makes me glad I also found someone here who enjoyed it as much as I did.
forror
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by forror » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:18 pm

Signal - One I'd recommend to even non k-drama fans, especially if you're into thrillers. There are a number of shows I enjoy watching on repeat, but Signal is one of those I wish I could have my memory wiped so I can experience it afresh every time. It managed to have me gripped all the way through - where most dramas tend to stumble at the midway mark - and my heart was equally cheering and wrenching for the character of Lee Jae Han.

Coffee Prince - Had to throw in something for the nostalgia kick. It's been years since I last rewatched it, but I can imagine it wouldn't feel toooo dated. Good if you're looking for a nice slice-of-life and chilled music.

Queen In-hyun's Man - I may need to rewatch to see if I feel the same way about it now. But I recall desperately waiting for each episode to come out when it first aired, and it was one of those rare dramas where it managed to maintain its momentum instead of suffering a dip in the latter half. (That being said, let's not talk about the last episode...) I loved the two main characters who respected, supported, and TALKED to each other.

-------------------------------

I downloaded Chief Kim last year, but never got round to watching it. Really need to do so considering how I'm loving the Namgoong Min renaissance - I still remember him from Can You Hear My Heart where he was serviceable but didn't exactly catch my eye. Or maybe I was a little too transfixed by Kim Jae Won.
Chosoo
Johnny's Jr

Post by Chosoo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:37 pm

The one I have been hooked on lately is the Netflix one called Black with Song Seung Heon and Go Ara.

In all..too many dramas it's hard to select.
Many have so many memories from my teens..haha
Anita83
Johnny's Jr

Post by Anita83 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:44 am

i haven't watched anything since 2016
does anyone have recommendations from the last 2 years?
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:38 pm

Anita83 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:44 am
i haven't watched anything since 2016
does anyone have recommendations from the last 2 years?
- Chief Kim 김과장 (2017), office comedy starring Nam Goong Min
- Defendant 피고인 (2017), legal/thriller drama starring Ji Sung
- Mystery Queen 추리의 여왕 (2017), mystery/comedy starring Choi Kang Hee and Kwon Sang Woo. It got the second season which started airing last week.
TefaZepp
Johnny's Jr

Post by TefaZepp » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:26 am

Been watching Kdramas since a looong time already, but recently I feel like the quality it's decreasing or probably my interests changed a little.
Just recently finished watching Because this it's my first life(2017), a romance/comedy with Lee min Ki as lead actor, obviously I watched it because of him, I haven't seen him in any drama since 2007 (Oh Dalja's Spring and EIA, which are actually good "classic" kdramas)

Sooo what got my attention after that it's that it seems to be very similar to Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu, a japanese drama lead by Gakky and Hoshino Gen, plot focusinf in marriage contract, overall speaking they are similar but not the same, the korean version script was very interesting and refreshing for what we are used to see, I feel like you get stuck from episode one, I deffinitely recomend you to watch this one.

Currently watching Money Flower(2017-18), with Jang Hyuk as main lead, gotta admit I'm watching it because of him, it's a very good drama, completely diffferent form the previous recommendation, more drama and suspense.