Drama recommendations

Forum for TV shows, films, groups and artists from the other parts of the world.

Moderator: iheartaiba

Forum rules
Tag your topic with [MUSIC], [TV], [ACTOR], [ACTRESS] or [FILM]. For example, [TV] The Walking Dead.

Only one topic per franchise (for example Harry Potter and Marvel films).
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Drama recommendations

Post by iheartaiba » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:45 pm

Share your drama recommendations here! A word or two why the drama is worth watching would be nice.

You can also ask for drama recommendations.

I love drama series (UK and US) with clever characters, especially con artists or detectives. Nothing too serious but also not just comedy. Any recommendations? I absolutely love Hustle and The Mentalist so something similar to either of them would be great.
yruvian
PIKA☆NCHI
PIKA☆NCHI

Re: Drama recommendations

Post by yruvian » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:09 pm

Maybe Castle and Lucifer then? Mentalist was better than both though. Bones would be another possibility, but it's a bit more serious.

Castle: combo of detectives and a writer. The first seasons were nice. The red line here would be the death of the main detective's father. Castle (the writer) gets involved with the crime solving when a series of murders is based on his own thrillers, but stays on as a consultant over the seasons. The series gets less interesting once he actually becomes a PI, but that's only after several seasons. Comedy is mostly in Castle's family, the trouble he causes for the team at first and his fame.

Lucifer... night club owner and the devil starts to help the police when an old friend is killed right in front of him. I still have to finish the second season, but the first one was nice. The series is based on a comic book, though I've never read it and it never bothered me. Of course his partner in the police force doesn't believe he is really the devil, though he doesn't try to hide the fact.

I'd really recommend Forever even though it only got one season. The forensics doctor is an immortal who gets involved in the actual solving of the crimes. Most of the comedy involves his own strange kind of immortality and his relationship with his 'partner' in the antique shop he owns. Of course, like with all of these series there is some romance involved between the main detective and Dr. Morgan. Also like in most there is a story that keeps up during the season.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:07 pm

yruvian wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:09 pm
Maybe Castle and Lucifer then? Mentalist was better than both though. Bones would be another possibility, but it's a bit more serious.

Thanks for recommendations!
I've seen several seasons of Bones. At some point it just became a mess and I stopped watching it. I only now remembered Forever. It was such a great series. I'm still bitter they cancelled it.

But Castle and Lucifer both sound interesting :) I think I will give Lucifer a try first.
yruvian
PIKA☆NCHI
PIKA☆NCHI

Post by yruvian » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:31 pm

Everyone who knows Forever seems to feel that way about canceling it, it was such a great series.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:55 pm

yruvian wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:31 pm
Everyone who knows Forever seems to feel that way about canceling it, it was such a great series.

My favourite US TV series tend to get cancelled after one or two seasons. I must jinx them or something...
alinnealinne
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by alinnealinne » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:36 pm

I love The Good Wife and Damages, and am recently finishing watching the latter.

For not-too-serious shows, I really love Superstore! It's somehow very relaxing to watch, and for some reason the humor in it really gets to me. ^_^

Judge Judy is also a favorite! Very convenient when you're itching to watch something but don't have much leisure time at the moment.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:01 am

yruvian wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:09 pm
Lucifer... night club owner and the devil starts to help the police when an old friend is killed right in front of him. I still have to finish the second season, but the first one was nice. The series is based on a comic book, though I've never read it and it never bothered me. Of course his partner in the police force doesn't believe he is really the devil, though he doesn't try to hide the fact.
I've now watched three episodes of Lucifer and I really like it so far! Thanks you so much for recommending it :)
yruvian
PIKA☆NCHI
PIKA☆NCHI

Post by yruvian » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:02 pm

You're welcome :). I really should finish watching the second season <.<
Stulti
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by Stulti » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:42 pm

I really like Common law (is also just one season and might be a bit too much humor...) it is about two detectives who have to go to couples therapy (in a group setting) because of an incident and because their superior was there with his wife and says it helps so much... and so those two guys got there and have to do those assignements and also work their job and it is so funny but also crime fighting at the same time...

Dollhouse by Joss Whedon (Buffy, Angel, Firefly): it is about people living in the doll house and having their memory erased and than their brains are overwritten when some rich person is requesting them (sounds like some NC 17 stuff, but they are rented out as assasins and stuff...)

Veronica Mars: teen detective trying to solve the murder of her best friend. set in the californian upper class with class conflicts because veronica isn't rich and also some biker gang etc. (season 1-2 High School setting, season 3 university and the movie is 10 years later or something like that)

Gone: based on the Kick Lannigan book (waiting for a second one) it is about a girl who was kidnapped when she was little and lived with her kidnapper until she was saved and some years later her saviour from the FBI wants her to help him find kidnapped people because of her unique view. also she has martial arts training, and omg Danny Pino as John Bishop (though Bishop in the book is even cooler :heart: )