Arashi to suspend activities in Dec 2020

Latest drama, film, CD/DVD and concert news.

Moderator: jessica

Forum rules
No rumours allowed. Post only news from reliable and legitimate sources here.

IMPORTANT: Post links or URLs of OFFICIAL news sources, NOT YOUR PERSONAL WEBSITES OR BLOGS OR ANY THAT INVOLVES AFFILIATE LINKS.

When starting a new thread, tag properly and accordingly, whether it's a DRAMA, ALBUM, MOVIE, PLAY, MAGAZINE, BOOK, or OTHERS. For example:

[ALBUM] - album title
[DRAMA] - title of drama
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Re: Arashi to suspend activities in Dec 2020

Post by iheartaiba » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:50 pm

JudasFm wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:17 am
I hope making a post like this is okay (I couldn't find anything in the rules to say it wasn't, and it's from Johnny's web, which is about as official a source as it gets).

This is fine. Thank you so much for posting it :)

pknumba1 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:30 am
iheartaiba wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:50 pm
I love how mature everyone here is :) No unnecessary drama.
Well, isn't it kind of in the rules to...not do that? Just sayin'. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
:D
JudasFm
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by JudasFm » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:59 am

iheartaiba wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:50 pm

This is fine. Thank you so much for posting it :)
No problem :) I think Sho might comment about it in his blog as well, but I won't know for a week or so (Jun updates round about the end of every month. Sho updates every month, precisely on the 15th. I know this because, being Sho, he always takes care to properly write the date at the end XD )
pknumba1
Cool & Soul
Cool & Soul

Post by pknumba1 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:31 pm

I'm going to miss seeing Sho's posts in English after this month, as well as everyone else's. Maybe I can still hope and that people will translate them anyway.
JudasFm
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by JudasFm » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:03 pm

pknumba1 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:31 pm
I'm going to miss seeing Sho's posts in English after this month, as well as everyone else's. Maybe I can still hope and that people will translate them anyway.
I don't know how the rules stand on this, but if it's not a violation then I'd be happy to post Sho and Jun's blog entries on this forum as they come :)
pknumba1
Cool & Soul
Cool & Soul

Post by pknumba1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:05 am

JudasFm wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:03 pm
pknumba1 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:31 pm
I don't know how the rules stand on this, but if it's not a violation then I'd be happy to post Sho and Jun's blog entries on this forum as they come :)
Man, I should have asked this months ago!! If you still have any past entries from Sho, could you send them to me?
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:48 pm

^ I have given permission to post those blog entries :)
Nightshadow
Aibaka Moderator
Aibaka Moderator

Post by Nightshadow » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:21 pm

So, I got it right when I thought Ohno had started this. That about as far as my feeling of triumph goes.

Reading all that Judas posted, I honestly think they are breaking up. I dunno, I get that feeling except from Aiba. Like he is believing they'll come back. I kind of feel Nino is in shock and that he accepted because he cares about the members, hence, the way he put it into words. But particularly from Jun's Enjoy post, I think they are disbanding. I obviously still respect their opinion, I still wish them the best, and I'm hoping they perform in the Olympics and that they re-release their albums. That would be really awesome for us fans that don't have all their albums, and it would still make money for the jimusho. I hope they give us an awesome last album, so that they go out with the biggest blast possible. ^_^

I hope I'm proven wrong and they return in some way or another. :)
pknumba1
Cool & Soul
Cool & Soul

Post by pknumba1 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:27 pm

iheartaiba wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:48 pm
^ I have given permission to post those blog entries :)
Yay! I wondered if we could start threads of their posts! I was surprised to see Sho's in English this month. I guess them saying they're stopping them in February means after February they won't anymore.
Nightshadow wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:21 pm
So, I got it right when I thought Ohno had started this. That about as far as my feeling of triumph goes.

Reading all that Judas posted, I honestly think they are breaking up. I dunno, I get that feeling except from Aiba. Like he is believing they'll come back. I kind of feel Nino is in shock and that he accepted because he cares about the members, hence, the way he put it into words. But particularly from Jun's Enjoy post, I think they are disbanding. I obviously still respect their opinion, I still wish them the best, and I'm hoping they perform in the Olympics and that they re-release their albums. That would be really awesome for us fans that don't have all their albums, and it would still make money for the jimusho. I hope they give us an awesome last album, so that they go out with the biggest blast possible. ^_^

I hope I'm proven wrong and they return in some way or another. :)
No offense, but I hope you're wrong. :3
yruvian
PIKA☆NCHI
PIKA☆NCHI

Post by yruvian » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:44 am

I'm not giving up hope that they'll be back at some time either, but the most important thing for them is to be as happy as they've made us.

From Sho's News Zero interview it seems he too is hoping for a comeback, so it's not just Aiba.
arashinki
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by arashinki » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:34 am

I'm happy Reading all of your thought about Arashi's hiatus here. I just followed them for 4 years, yet I get so much happiness from arashi and fellow arashians. I really hope they will come back again after the hiatus, but if not, I wish them a good happy life.
kantanaamaya
IROあせないで
IROあせないで

Post by kantanaamaya » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:25 pm

I was so surprised when I found out about the hiatus! I wanted to come here and get everyone's thoughts, but you know how life gets in the way.

When I read the article titles I has suspicions that Ohno was the person to have prompted it. Which is fine, no shade, just that he has said he was tired and wanting a break for years now. And they deserve one! Part of me wishes they took a short hiatus years earlier, where they have enough momentum to definitely return. I've been worried that with 20th anniversary coming up so would their retirement. With all of these concert dates too, I hope that they do get to rest a bit at least during the hiatus. As a fan, of course I hope they come back after a year or so hiatus. I'd love to see them get to 25 years as Arashi. But I'll be happy with the joy they've provided in the past and what we will get in these next 2 years!
Nightshadow
Aibaka Moderator
Aibaka Moderator

Post by Nightshadow » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:09 am

pknumba1 wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:27 pm
None taken. :hug: I hope I'm wrong too. ;)

So I guess more people thought Ohno was behind this. It's good to know I was not the only one thinking like that.

Maybe they'll go all crazy this year and give a lot of concerts before the hiatus too.
pknumba1
Cool & Soul
Cool & Soul

Post by pknumba1 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:49 pm

Nightshadow wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:09 am
pknumba1 wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:27 pm
None taken. :hug: I hope I'm wrong too. ;)

So I guess more people thought Ohno was behind this. It's good to know I was not the only one thinking like that.

Maybe they'll go all crazy this year and give a lot of concerts before the hiatus too.
They did announce how many cities they are going to during the next couple years during one of the concerts not too long ago. Remember the dates on the huge screen? I think they planned that as a "see ya later" tour. That's why they're going all out.
Chosoo
Johnny's Jr

Post by Chosoo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:50 am

iheartaiba wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:28 pm
pknumba1 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:07 pm
So, I'm kind of happy for them that they have officially announced that they will be taking a break. It is a break, right? Just no one knows for how long.

I honestly don't think they are going to come back as a group. I mean, maybe some special events or so, but it feels like especially Ohno wants to leave the entertainment world. He said that the past few years the feeling of wanting to "live freely" has grown stronger and stronger.

They have talked about taking a break and not disbanding, but I have a feeling that once Ohno gets to do whatever he wants he may not want to leave that life. But, we still have two wonderful years ahead so let's enjoy and support the group and every member :)
I agree and I think it will take quite some time before we see them again as 5 after this and I think Ohno needs it.
Although I'm crushed as a Arashi fan, if I look at my school, work etc. I have changed a lot over the time since Arashi debuted. And I have always been able to pursue what I want to do.
Looking at Riida he as been doing this for quite some time, but with the age etc I have seen a change in him compare to the other members.
I like that we still have the possibility of a reunion, compare to TxT who announced they disbanded.
It's kinda like Westlife (my other bias..) they went on a hiatus for what..9 years? and is now back. I hope we can still see them all together one day.
DaisyX
Johnny's Jr

Post by DaisyX » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:25 pm

I've spent a long time processing this. I completely respect their decision. They have given us SO MUCH for YEARS! They deserve this, whether it is time off, or a true end.

That all being said this hit me hard. There are 3 Japanese groups that I follow(ed). One has been on "hiatus" for years now. One has called it quits. And now this. These groups were everything to me for 10+ years. Though I loved them all, these guys had/have a special place in my heart. Aibakaland became my home...because of them. I became a mod/uploader...because of them. Mostly importantly, I met some AMAZING people here...because of them. They brought me here. *sigh* It just feels like the end of an era. That makes me more sad than I can express. I feel like I'm closing a chapter in my life...a chapter that was SO AWESOME...and that is heart wrenching.
JudasFm
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by JudasFm » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:25 am

Well, AFAIK none of the members have mentioned leaving the entertainment world apart from Ohno. (It's a little hard to keep up, because Johnny's Web shut down the English language version at the end of Feb). (Pknumba1, I haven't forgotten about your Sho-post request; life is just insanely busy right now. I want to post blog entries from Sho and Jun regularly; I just need time to translate them :P)

Anyway, getting back to what I was saying, I never got any indication that the members' individual appearances (Aiba Manabu, Nino-san, TSD, Zero etc) were going to come to an end, so we might still be able to enjoy them on TV :)
Stulti
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by Stulti » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:57 pm

I was really shocked when I read it and so confused as to why they announce it 2 years in advance (the first reports made it seem like the stop in 2020, but well autotranslate and stuff)

I'm okey with it if it was their decision. at least they say Ohno wants time to himself and offically it is a hiatus. compared to kat-tun or Kanjani where members left for various reasons but then just started to make music again (well I guess it is their decision too, but it just felt weird)

I still can really imagine them being "gone" and not being able to just watch the latest vsA or something (though I often watch the old ones anyways and AnS still the best program they had.)
we just have to wait until 2020 to see who does what during the hiatus or if the announce that the are disbanding after all. but I need some good Nino movies...(maybe he will start directing as he wanted to do when he was a junior oO)
pknumba1
Cool & Soul
Cool & Soul

Post by pknumba1 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:17 pm

I kind of see it as once 2021 starts, Arashi will officially be on hiatus. That's a New Year's I'm not looking forward to.
yruvian
PIKA☆NCHI
PIKA☆NCHI

Post by yruvian » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:37 pm

pknumba1 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:17 pm
I kind of see it as once 2021 starts, Arashi will officially be on hiatus. That's a New Year's I'm not looking forward to.
It's going to be the start of the dark age... I've tried checking out other JE groups (again in some cases) since the news was announced, but I haven't found a single one that gives me the same feel. There's always something missing... I was only looking for someone to follow during the hiatus, but even that turned out near impossible.

I hope my collection of footage and music will be able to tide me over until their return.
pknumba1
Cool & Soul
Cool & Soul

Post by pknumba1 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:56 pm

yruvian wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:37 pm
pknumba1 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:17 pm
It's going to be the start of the dark age... I've tried checking out other JE groups (again in some cases) since the news was announced, but I haven't found a single one that gives me the same feel. There's always something missing... I was only looking for someone to follow during the hiatus, but even that turned out near impossible.

I hope my collection of footage and music will be able to tide me over until their return.
I'm going to miss catching VSA and AniShi every week. Maybe I'll use their hiatus to watch their really old episodes because I only started watching faithfully in late 2015 and have only seen a handful of the previous episodes. Mostly because I thought I would never catch up with the shows still airing.