What does your family or friends think about Arashi?

Talk about the Fab Five here.

Moderator: iheartaiba

Forum rules
Only Arashi discussions without polls or tests. Posts with polls etc. belong to Yes? No?.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

What does your family or friends think about Arashi?

Post by iheartaiba » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:25 pm

As the title says, what does your family or friends think about Arashi?

Four of my siblings know Arashi. Two of them used to like them, maybe till Aozora Pedal era or something 'cause I remember watching Kitto Daijoubu PV with them over and over again. Both of them were members in the very first Aibakaland. Anyway, after some time one of them got more into anime and j-rock and the other one into k-pop.

My mother knows there is Arashi and she knows I run Aibakaland. But she is into k-pop and k-dramas. She has watched some Arashi dramas, like this year I gave her 99.9 because she likes the genre and I recommended that drama. But she hasn't listened to Arashi or other j-pop groups.

As for dad... He knows where Japan is and that's pretty much it lol

None of my rl friends is into Arashi (or Japanese music in general).
yruvian
IROあせないで
IROあせないで

Re: What does your family or friends think about Arashi?

Post by yruvian » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:43 am

My brother prefers the variety shows over their music though at least he doesn't often skip them when a song comes up in our general playlist any more XD.
My mother seems to like the concert shows, though according to her she can't hear them sing (she's partly deaf and usually doesn't wear her hearing aid because it hurts her). She used to ask me to put on something else, but the last couple of weeks she watched with me... and started asking questions/giving comments. She even has a favourite... though it's based solely on looks so far.
nowh3r3
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by nowh3r3 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:28 pm

When I still lived in my parents' house, I used to watch Arashi variety shows with my little sister and sometimes even my little brother would come to watch VS Arashi.
I watched dramas with my sister as well. I think she really liked MatsuJun in HanaDan... but she never really became a fan. In the past I also forced the whole family to listen to Arashi music in the car etc. They don't really like it though... But very recently I played some older Arashi songs at my family home and even my mom said she recognized a couple of the songs xD
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:26 pm

I've been a fan for about two and half years and my family still doesn't know about Arashi. It helps to not live at home anymore. Even if I am at my parents house and I watch one of their shows, they just think I'm trying to learn Japanese. Which is precisely what I'm doing. I'm hoping to get my almost 2-year-old nephew into them.
elarasakurai
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by elarasakurai » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:10 am

my family knows off arashi and that's about it . . . none of them have lived in japan but they have gone thru my bulk magazine buying at Christmas season before going home . .. they have gone thru my whining of watching Kouhaku instead of going to church on new year's eve. Most importantly they have gone thru the screaming and giggling whenever i watch their shows at home.

the friends i had when i was in Japan knows of them and tolerates my obsession with them. they have been conditioned to ignore magazines, cds and dvds lying around if they surprise visit my apartment. they used to think it was easy buying me a gift, till they realized that i had likely bought it already.

after 10 years, 3 countries and several job transfers, i am lucky to have a job to support my arashi habit and lucky to have arashi to go to when the stress of the job comes crashing!
RoystonBob
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by RoystonBob » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:32 am

Mum likes Arashi more than I do now. She even got a tattoo for them! My brother would watch vsa and concerts when I first stared getting into Arashi, but apparently we watched too much and he got sick of them. We've caught Dad watching vsa when we're not around, but he'll change the channel if we walk in. He can't enjoy anything we like, immature old man XD
venelse
Johnny's Jr

Post by venelse » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:07 pm

My family is more of Anime and smap. They know who they are though as they know all of smap's juniors and love seeing johnny artists interaction.
I am quite happy with something though. I actually let my mom watched 99.9% and she loves it. She's already asking me when season 2 will be released lol~ Sometimes I feel that it's great to have family members that you can talk share stuff with about the idols that you like or support. It kinda brings us closer I guess.
keioboylove
Lucky Man
Lucky Man

Post by keioboylove » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:46 pm

My dad and Step-mom know that I am a big fan of "some Japanese boy-band", haha.

My mom and husband love Arashi. My mom listens to Arashi in the car everyday, as does my husband. He and I always watch new PVs/ Concerts/ dramas together as well as me re-watching other dramas with him. He denies that he has a favorite. I know he does, but he won't tell me. My mom's ichiban is Aiba-chan.
mmestrange
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by mmestrange » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:14 pm

My mother knows I have been an Arashi fan for ages. She knows the band name but still cannot get the guys' names. She refers to them by the characters of the shows/dramas/movies they have been in or by their physical descriptions.

To her the Arashi guys are:
Ohno is killer lawyer (Maou),
Sho is the butler (NazoDi),
Jun is "By my Grandfather's name" (Kindaichi),
Aiba is "restaurant heir" (due to his family's ownership of a Chinese restaurant),
Nino is "the slight one / small build"

My younger brother knows of Arashi, as he listens to Japanese contemporary music.

My RL friends don't share my tastes at all in most things, so I never talk to them about Arashi. The one or two who do know of my liking for Arashi cannot reconcile it to everyday fondness for classical music (especially the baroque era and opera) and jazz (the big band era).
pastelpenguin
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by pastelpenguin » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:22 pm

My parents know that I like Jpop. My sister and my nieces are well aware that I like Arashi. I used to watch the concert DVDs with them. But like most the people here, they're into kpop and kdrama now.

My bestfriend who is currently living in Japan now, was influenced by me to get into Arashi. She already attended two concerts. Last year's Are You Happy? and this year's untitled.
solen
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by solen » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:34 pm

I introduced Arashi to my best friend this summer and she fall in love with Aiba... so I think she like them. My other friend introduced Arahsi to me...so she may like them too.
My brother think that Jun is ugly naked.... and my mother want him (Jun not my brother) to be my boyfriend and to be the father of my children (even if I never meet him....)
mae_ai
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by mae_ai » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:09 pm

My siblings used to like them but now it's just me. Everyone knows that I like Arashi and knows of them. My boyfriend knows of them and knows I'm absolutely addicted :X I'd love to share more with him but I don't think he's gonna be that into it. He's told me that he likes Ohno because he's weird and he does art things like him but thats about it XD My brother also liked Ohno as well cause he's "super hilarious".
Mura_Kaze
IROあせないで
IROあせないで

Post by Mura_Kaze » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:17 pm

My family knew I'm into J-music but didn't know what bands/groups. They just called Arashi "some Japanese handsome guys" XD There's one time my older sis become SMAP fans. So long time ago. Arashi not even debuted :D As for my mother when she still alive, she'll likes what I like. She listened to GLAY and even hide (X Japan) very often :) Maybe she'll like it too. My father? He doesn't care lol

For my friends, of course they knew Arashi. They've become a fans when HanaDan booming. For now, maybe just 2-3 people still listening and watching Arashi.
alinnealinne
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by alinnealinne » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:24 pm

I've heard one of my older friends comment that Arashi has been around since forever and that they were already old. Haha!

On the contrary, it's actually encouraging to hear those sorts of thoughts, because it only means that Arashi's popularity stands the test of time. 8-) I am perfectly content for them to continue on with their career for a while longer.

My family supports my faves though, lucky me! My large Ohno uchiwa doesn't seem to bother anybody in the home. ^_^
Queajy
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by Queajy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:54 pm

Well i've pulled my sister and two of my friends to like Arashi
I'm proud of myself lol
hashiridase
Johnny's Jr

Post by hashiridase » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:58 pm

My close friends from other fandoms know all the members because we talk about the other groups we follow and look at pictures in group chats. Most of them like Nino best :) so I usually tell them what nonsense he has been saying on Baystorm. They all think Sho is cute and seem quite fond of him, probably because I talk about him so much. I retweeted some Sho pics earlier and my friend came to message me because his cheeks were so cute, haha. She loves his cheeks.

As for my family, my Dad likes Arashi when I have played them in the car with him. He really like BNMF album a lot, and he enjoyed Mikan when I played it to him.
kazunari
PIKA☆NCHI
PIKA☆NCHI

Post by kazunari » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:56 am

They know Arashi as that Japanese group that I like. I don't have much merchandise to show/flaunt so it's kinda lowkey. My sister knows about the members though.
inutrasha94
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by inutrasha94 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:43 pm

My parents knows that I spent all of high school watching some Japanese stiff and that I learned how to speak it from there. I'm not sure they've ever actually seen their faces.

I don't even know if my brother knows how I learned Japanese.

My friends know the name Arashi. And absolutely zero of them have listened to their music.

The only arashi friends I have are on the internet!
ShirleyWade
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by ShirleyWade » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:17 pm

My both parents know my love for Arashi and they are okay with it. Sometimes, my mother saw some parts of Arashi´s shows and finds some game and activities fun to watch. I used to bet with my mother on Thursday whose team would win in VSArashi. I remember my mother saying that Arashi was always losing :)

About my friends... Just a few of them know them because I showed them some songs and they liked but never got deeper.
However, I introduced Arashi to my boyfriend and he found them entertaining and funny. Now, we´re watching Kisarazu Cat´s Eye because I thought its surrealistic humour and editing would like him and I wasn´t wrong. In fact, he considers Sho his ichiban hahah :)
matsumiyalover
Johnny's Jr

Post by matsumiyalover » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:05 pm

This is a hard question because my parents don't know anything about entertainment world outside of our country. I mean, seriously, they don't even know about the booming k-pop or k-dramas, let alone j-pop.

They just know that I like this bunch of noisy guys that speak gibberish and they are all from Japan. That's pretty much it.

Oh and when I played their music on speaker, my mother would leave whatever she was doing just to close my bedroom door. Is their music that bad? Or is it their voices? Cause I don't remember she did it this often when I was a fan of rock bands LOL