Aibakaland closes its doors on Nov 30

The Arashi Question Thread

Talk about the Fab Five here.

Moderator: iheartaiba

Forum rules
Only Arashi discussions without polls or tests. Posts with polls etc. belong to Yes? No?.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

The Arashi Question Thread

Post by iheartaiba » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:18 pm

If you have any questions considering the whole group, feel free to ask here :)
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Re: The Arashi Question Thread

Post by iheartaiba » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:04 pm

Which Arashi members wear glasses because of poor eyesight and not just as an accessory?
pknumba1
Everybody前進
Everybody前進

Post by pknumba1 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:20 am

Doesn't Jun wear glasses because he has poor eyesight? I think I read that somewhere in an article. His eyesight is the worst in the group. He mostly wears contacts, but there are times when he does wear glasses. His eyesight number points are the same as mine.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:48 pm

pknumba1 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:20 am
Doesn't Jun wear glasses because he has poor eyesight? I think I read that somewhere in an article. His eyesight is the worst in the group. He mostly wears contacts, but there are times when he does wear glasses. His eyesight number points are the same as mine.

I was thinking he probably does. I've often seen him with glasses. How about Sho? I've seen him wearing glasses but I'm not sure if he wears them because of poor eyesight.
pknumba1
Everybody前進
Everybody前進

Post by pknumba1 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:46 pm

I think I saw in the same article that Sho's eyesight is almost perfect. Like practically 20/20. Not quite but close. I think he'll only use glasses if he gets tired or if he's just given glasses during photoshoots because he looks good in them.
kantanaamaya
IROあせないで
IROあせないで

Post by kantanaamaya » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:00 am

I thought there were 3 of the members who actually needed glasses. Doesn't Nino wear glasses fairly frequently too? Although they could be cosmetic. It's been so long since I read something talking about that that I can't quite remember...
pknumba1
Everybody前進
Everybody前進

Post by pknumba1 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:06 pm

I think Nino and Jun are the ones who actually need glasses. I don't know who the third one would be...
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:40 pm

I got so curious about this I had to check if someone on Naver knew.

I don't know where they got the information, but one fan says Nino's eyesight is 0.6 (both), Aiba's 1.0 (both), Sho's 1.2 (right) & 1.5 (left). No info of Jun or Ohno. But that post is from 2006.

Edit: So a post from 2007 says Jun's eyesight is 0.3/0.2 and Ohno's 0.1. I don't know why, but I don't really believe Ohno's one, though in Popolo 07/2005 he apparently says he has a poor eyesight (I didn't find scans so I'm relying on a Korean translation).
Anjana
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by Anjana » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:13 pm

At this year's Kotatsu De Arashi, Ohno himself said that he had started to wear contact lenses this year (2017). And in Tsunagu's making of, Nino teased him about not being able to see anything far and that he should wear glasses.
So, unless they were trolling us, I think Ohno is short-sighted.
keioboylove
Lucky Man
Lucky Man

Post by keioboylove » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:22 pm

Yeah I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that Ohno didn't have great eye sight and he often wears glasses in his paparazzi photos. They don't look as if they're accessories.
pknumba1
Everybody前進
Everybody前進

Post by pknumba1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:01 am

I kind of wondered if he wore them as a disguise sort of.

Speaking of which, who is the one that walks around in public without a disguise? I know Sho and Jun do, but do the other three walk outside as they are without covering their faces or heads?
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:25 pm

I've seen some paparazzi pics of Nino and in quite a few of them he hasn't worn a mask.
kazunari
PIKA☆NCHI
PIKA☆NCHI

Post by kazunari » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:24 pm

Yeah, I don't think Nino wears disguises. I think he even rides (or rode) the trains (if that was really him in those photos).
pknumba1
Everybody前進
Everybody前進

Post by pknumba1 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:46 pm

I've seen those, too. Man, Nino is really brave or he isn't as popular as the other 4. He should be, you would think. Does it depend on the crowd? I think it's easy for Nino to take the train without causing a ruckus because you're supposed to be quiet on the trains there. No one wants to cause an uproar.
keioboylove
Lucky Man
Lucky Man

Post by keioboylove » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:09 am

pknumba1 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:46 pm
I've seen those, too. Man, Nino is really brave or he isn't as popular as the other 4. He should be, you would think. Does it depend on the crowd? I think it's easy for Nino to take the train without causing a ruckus because you're supposed to be quiet on the trains there. No one wants to cause an uproar.
I would say yes it probably does depend on the crowd and where they are. Also people probably just don't realize/believe that it's actually him. I'd be like. "That guy looks a lot like Nino, but there's no way it's actually him," I hear that happens a lot there. Also most Japanese people aren't the type to come forward and ask someone they don't know if it's really who they think it is. They're pretty respectful of the line between public and private lives when it comes to celebrities (except the crazys, haha)
kantanaamaya
IROあせないで
IROあせないで

Post by kantanaamaya » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:40 am

keioboylove wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:09 am
I would say yes it probably does depend on the crowd and where they are. Also people probably just don't realize/believe that it's actually him. I'd be like. "That guy looks a lot like Nino, but there's no way it's actually him," I hear that happens a lot there. Also most Japanese people aren't the type to come forward and ask someone they don't know if it's really who they think it is. They're pretty respectful of the line between public and private lives when it comes to celebrities (except the crazys, haha)
I agree, I think people may just assume he's a realistic lookalike. Even Ohno joked about that (I think on an old Arashi no Shukudai-kun), that he just sticks his lower jaw out so people think he's a lookalike. That could be some of the reasoning behind it.
pknumba1
Everybody前進
Everybody前進

Post by pknumba1 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:58 pm

I have heard there's a Sho dobbleganger in Japan, so that probably confuses people, too.
Mura_Kaze
PIKA☆NCHI
PIKA☆NCHI

Post by Mura_Kaze » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:36 am

I think what you saw in tv/media can be different from what you saw in real life. Hmm, how to put it. Like, you saw them with different aura, a normal clothes (not something dazzling), no makeup, etc. Maybe you just thought "This person looks familiar.." but can't remember who's that. That's happen a lot
LateArashifan
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by LateArashifan » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:02 pm

I always wondered about Ohno's eyesight (sorry, late to the conversation), because whenever you see him painting or drawing he doesn't have any on? So does that mean he's nearsighted (can't see far). I don't know any of the technical terms or what the numbers mean, because I've never had anything to do with glasses. Still don't have to wear them at 45, so I'm doing pretty good i think. Could someone explain what the numbers mean?
pknumba1
Everybody前進
Everybody前進

Post by pknumba1 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:03 pm

LateArashifan wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:02 pm
I always wondered about Ohno's eyesight (sorry, late to the conversation), because whenever you see him painting or drawing he doesn't have any on? So does that mean he's nearsighted (can't see far). I don't know any of the technical terms or what the numbers mean, because I've never had anything to do with glasses. Still don't have to wear them at 45, so I'm doing pretty good i think. Could someone explain what the numbers mean?
To quote from this site:

Code: Select all

https://www.aoa.org/patients-and-public/eye-and-vision-problems/glossary-of-eye-and-vision-conditions/visual-acuity
"20/20 vision is a term used to express normal visual acuity (the clarity or sharpness of vision) measured at a distance of 20 feet. If you have 20/20 vision, you can see clearly at 20 feet what should normally be seen at that distance. If you have 20/100 vision, it means that you must be as close as 20 feet to see what a person with normal vision can see at 100 feet.

Having 20/20 vision does not necessarily mean you have perfect vision. 20/20 vision only indicates the sharpness or clarity of vision at a distance. Other important vision skills, including peripheral awareness or side vision, eye coordination, depth perception, focusing ability and color vision, contribute to your overall visual ability.

Some people can see well at a distance but are unable to bring nearer objects into focus."

The Snelling chart, which is used to test sight (IDK if every country uses this or not) here:

Code: Select all

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9f/Snellen_chart.svg/1200px-Snellen_chart.svg.png
indicates how sharp your sight is. For instance, I can usually see as far as the 5th or 6th line down with my glasses on. If I feel a little adventurous, I'll try for the 7th line, but at that point the letters start morphing into other letters, like the F turning into a P. I think with my glasses off, I can't see the 4th line at all.

After nearly 12 years, my glasses are still working!

The Japanese I think measure the numbers a little differently, but I think 2.0 is like 20/20. Can someone else clear me on this?