Moderator: iheartaiba

iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Re: Totally Random Talk Thread

Post by iheartaiba » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:52 pm

pknumba1 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:15 pm
It always makes me nervous to see people's take on Disney when they come up with something new like make a franchise about a certain culture and everyone thinks Disney will invade and make it something of their own. Well, why wouldn't they? They do own almost every company in the US now. I think there are some good members in Disney who will try to express and portray and certain culture, but not say that they own it. I think they'll make some very small changes only to comply to American audiences, because Disney is an American company.

While Disney is an American company their films, animated or not, target audience around the whole world. They have to think about the big picture. After all, a huge chunk of Disney's income comes from studio entertainment (I checked it just to be sure). Disney hasn't touched anything Finnish yet, but I'm fairly sure a majority of Finns would get furious if Disney (or anyone else) took something from our culture and then wouldn't even portray it in a correct way. They can do films without disrespecting the source. Whether they actually bother doing so is a different thing.

Now completely off-topic, but I've been extremely stressed out this week. This one company was supposed to come to check the ventilation system of my apartment last Wed. No-one came. Then on Friday morning someone dropped by... He said it will take a couple of weeks for the new machine to arrive. On Tuesday this week, when I left for grocery shopping that same guy was doing some work in another apartment and then he told me he was going to come to remove the ceiling of my bathroom. Like right away... The work continued on Wednesday and today (it's finally finished - I hope). I had to leave my apartment for hours on all three days 'cause I couldn't use the bathroom and yesterday the guy said like "oh you won't get any water for maybe three hours". C'mon! What about people who work night shift? Have pets? Maybe work from home? People need time to arrange things! You can't just tell someone that you're going to go to their apartment right now and do some major work. The company had master keys so if you're not home that won't stop them.
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:32 pm

Man, that is sucky management if I ever heard of it. Seems like they're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Or you had more problems in your apartment than you thought.
kantanaamaya
IROあせないで
IROあせないで

Post by kantanaamaya » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:27 pm

Mura_Kaze wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:18 am
Second, I'll be in engangement next month. There's a cultures in my country, we must make a family party when someone in the family make an engangement. Something like that. Me and my bf hoping it'll be smooth. I feel excited lol

And about JE Youtube. What's the deal? It so suddenly happen hahaha XD
Congratulations on your engagement!!!! :heart: :heart: :heart: That's so exciting! (: And it's just that an official YouTube account for the Johnny's Juniors is being made. I think folks have said it will include subtitles/closed captions, too.
iheartaiba wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:52 pm
They can do films without disrespecting the source. Whether they actually bother doing so is a different thing.
That pretty much sums up my feelings on Disney and most major media outlets, haha.
But your apartment management does sound like a hassle! I can't stand when they ask people to just stop by. That has happened at the place I'm in now a few times. They won't give me an exact date because it's two separate groups running things (which is it's own problem). Hopefully the ventilation doesn't become an issue ever again!
---
As for myself...I have a first round (phone) interview for a job on Tuesday! :D I really like the position, and the area is close by where I went to graduate school, so I think the people here will know my references well and already understand a lot about the work I did before. Please wish me luck on the day! My voice sounds very low & uncute on the phone so phone interviews make me nervous, haha.
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:50 pm

^Good luck on your interview!

Phone interviews are weird to me. As anxious as I am about interviews, meeting in person is a lot easier on me. I get to see the employer who could hire me, and it's easier for me to pick up cues in what to say, and they can see me in how I answer their questions. You would think that since I've had those pretty often that I should know what questions they will ask so I can be better prepared. Most of the questions are generally the same no matter which company you go to.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:39 pm

Mura_Kaze wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:18 am
First, I need a teeth surgery. Last time I said my teeth's hurt. And after panoramic X-Ray, I found out there's one tooth grow in upper gums. Horizontally. Me and my doctor had cringe laugh when we see the X-Ray XD

Second, I'll be in engangement next month. There's a cultures in my country, we must make a family party when someone in the family make an engangement. Something like that. Me and my bf hoping it'll be smooth. I feel excited lol
Horizontally?! No wonder it hurts.
Also, congrats on your engagement! :heart:

pknumba1 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:32 pm
Man, that is sucky management if I ever heard of it. Seems like they're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Or you had more problems in your apartment than you thought.
I found out that mine was actually one of the easiest ones and it still took three days. In some apartments they need to remove quite a bit of the ceiling from both a bathroom and a living room + do some extra work on the machines/pipes :o

kantanaamaya wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:27 pm
But your apartment management does sound like a hassle! I can't stand when they ask people to just stop by. That has happened at the place I'm in now a few times. They won't give me an exact date because it's two separate groups running things (which is it's own problem). Hopefully the ventilation doesn't become an issue ever again!
---
As for myself...I have a first round (phone) interview for a job on Tuesday! :D I really like the position, and the area is close by where I went to graduate school, so I think the people here will know my references well and already understand a lot about the work I did before. Please wish me luck on the day! My voice sounds very low & uncute on the phone so phone interviews make me nervous, haha.
Our management likes to give notifications like "we'll come to check x between 9AM and 6PM on the week x". And they use master keys and usually they just quickly knock and then start opening the door right away. Like they don't even wait or knock a few times. It's so stressful. You won't know whether they come on Monday morning or Friday afternoon. This is most definitely the most stressful and annoying place I've lived...

Good luck on your interview! I've never done a phone interview.
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:50 pm

iheartaiba wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:39 pm
pknumba1 wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:32 pm
I found out that mine was actually one of the easiest ones and it still took three days. In some apartments they need to remove quite a bit of the ceiling from both a bathroom and a living room + do some extra work on the machines/pipes :o
That's kind of scary. Maybe they need to do a lot of maintenance because the place isn't well kept.
Nightshadow
Aibaka Moderator
Aibaka Moderator

Post by Nightshadow » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:53 pm

@pknumba1: I liked the movie a lot, and I haven't heard of any Mexican hating it. They may love it more or less, but no one hates it. There are some things that disappointed me, like the underworld, and the fact that there is no bread of the dead (it's not made with dead anything, it's just because of the shape) and no sugar candy skulls, which I thought by now, people around the world more or less know. The latter were in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban in the Honeydukes cellar because thanks to Cuarón, that movie is also filled with Mexican references. I have seen that this two things scare foreigners, and I have actually scared a couple. Imagine getting a sugar skull with your name on the forehead. Maybe it's weird, crazy or scary for you, but for us it means the person who gives it to us took the trouble of following the original tradition, and we are grateful. One of this sugar skulls with the name of the person for who you make the offering is a perfectly accepted substitute for a picture. You see, in Mexico we mock death, which is why our festivities for the dead are parties and fun. We mourn the dead when they die, but afterwards we celebrate life and mock death because we're all going to die anyway. Coco is not the Egyptian Book of the Dead because it's mythology is Aztec, but there are similarities. There is no judge at the entrance, no Anubis and no weighing of the heart, the dead person's spirit walks to the underworld and the god welcomes him. The journey is a test or a mix with a purgatory, but you enter it regardless of good or bad deeds. It is underground and there are levels and rivers, which is also similar to Dante's Inferno. Day of the death is a mix of the Aztec traditions and the catholic ones, which happened because Mexico was part of Spain until the 1800s. This is very common for us in many things, we didn't let go of the Aztec part and we incorporated Spanish and catholic things. There are words in Mexican Spanish spoken in Mexico City that are Aztec, and people in Yucatán peninsula have Mayan words in the Spanish they speak. However, there are a lot of ancient cultures who have similar underworlds. The underworld in Coco is not the Aztec underworld, it's not even close, it's just a generic version full of decorations we do have in Mexican graveyards on the day of the dead, and more like a city with events like the music contest that do happen in villages all around Mexico. It's like a mirror of the real Mexico, kind of what was done in The Corpse Bride. And really accurate Frida Kahlo, I must say. For me and for a lot of Mexicans, the fact that Disney took the time to research and we do see Mexico in the movie, the characters, the way they dress and act, the names (though I don't know if Miguel calls Coco "mamá Coco" in English)... there are a lot of things that look so familiar and so faraway from USA, that we see that they made the effort to portray it as accurately as can be expected. I don't know if Chicanos were harsher towards the movie, but at least everyone around me, myself included, loves it.

We didn't like the Oscars performance, though. Gael García missed the mark, we found out that the ending credits version of Remember Me was sung by a man of color and we kept wondering why, and then Mexican singer girl (Natalia Lafourcade) is a pop singer who has no woman-mariachi-like voice, so everyone had a better candidates for the parts. Mexican music when sung by women, has to be sung by a contralto woman, so the Oscars version sounded really off and weird.

I side with Haru and kanta on this one too, Disney is trying new things, sometimes they turn out weird like the Maleficent live action's true love kiss, and sometimes they turn out well like the no love story stuff they've been doing with Elsa and Moana (though Brave did it before and better imo). I think Pixar did a good job with Coco, I would like to know if Celtic people thought they did good with Brave, and by comparison, if Disney did a good job with Moana and Hawaiian culture. I have the idea that Pixar puts more effort nowadays. But yes, let's all be skeptical until we see whether or not they make a good job of what we love and live everyday.

@Haru: looks rough, hope at least your apartment is better now. I live in a house, so I can only imagine how bad this must be.

@Mura_Kaze: congrats!!!! <3 I feel you, two of my wisdom teeth were horizontal and I also had to get surgery, but you'll be ok, I'm sure ^^

@kantanaamaya: good luck on your interview, I hope you get the job. I've only been to one job interview and one interview for getting a position as a junior researcher in a lab for a couple of months.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:12 pm

pknumba1 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:50 pm
That's kind of scary. Maybe they need to do a lot of maintenance because the place isn't well kept.

More like this place isn't well built... :/ A major renovation was done a few years ago and that's when they replaced storerooms with six new apartments, including mine. My father is a builder and he said that whoever did that renovation did it baaadly. I mean, they already had to replace the flooring of my apartment last autumn...

Our building manager sucks. I contacted him a couple of weeks ago 'cause someone likes to play music loud. Even my neighbour came to ask me about it. The building manager told me they will start some processes, whatever that means, and if I happen to know the exact apartment where the noise comes from I should contact him again. I can still hear - and feel - that damn bass so thanks for nothing, I guess.
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:15 pm

iheartaiba wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:12 pm
pknumba1 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:50 pm

More like this place isn't well built... :/ A major renovation was done a few years ago and that's when they replaced storerooms with six new apartments, including mine. My father is a builder and he said that whoever did that renovation did it baaadly. I mean, they already had to replace the flooring of my apartment last autumn...

Our building manager sucks. I contacted him a couple of weeks ago 'cause someone likes to play music loud. Even my neighbour came to ask me about it. The building manager told me they will start some processes, whatever that means, and if I happen to know the exact apartment where the noise comes from I should contact him again. I can still hear - and feel - that damn bass so thanks for nothing, I guess.
I think if a major renovation is done too quickly then it was done horribly. A lot of things get over looked and ignored. So maybe your manager was trying to get more tenants in fast to get more money quick, therefore they get crappy apartments. Not the way a business should run, that's my opinion.

As for the loud music player, getting them to calm down or even kicked out if they keep up with it can be a process. When I first moved into my apartment, there was a lot of noise, and mostly from the person above me. My land lord knew about it because people have made noise complaints before but nobody knew where it was coming from. I didn't either for a while, until I was able to figure it out. It can take several calls to the police, and a few complaint letters and notices to the manager for them to kick out whoever it causing the ruckus. Not because the manager isn't doing anything, but it can take time, as well as legal action in case the person is doing something illegal for them to get kicked out. It took about 8 months for my noisy, annoying, and obnoxious upstairs neighbor to finally be kicked out. Apparently I wasn't the only one making complaints either. So it helps to not be the only one noticing it and being bothered by it. Or willing to speak up about it.
kazunari
PIKA☆NCHI
PIKA☆NCHI

Post by kazunari » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:19 pm

I don't wanna be a debbie downer on this thread but not having a job (or even an interview) is really making me feel a bit depressed. I'm sick of laying on my bed for hours and hours or checking my emails or just the thought that I'm wasting away when I really need to provide for my family.
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:34 pm

kazunari wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:19 pm
I don't wanna be a debbie downer on this thread but not having a job (or even an interview) is really making me feel a bit depressed. I'm sick of laying on my bed for hours and hours or checking my emails or just the thought that I'm wasting away when I really need to provide for my family.
I understand how you feel. I have been in that position before myself, and the feeling can make you feel completely useless. After I graduated college, I didn't find a paying job until almost 7 months, and even that one didn't end up lasting long. From then on, I could only find seasonal jobs at camps. It's not that I hated those jobs. In fact, they were the best jobs I had ever had, even to this day. It's too bad being a camp counselor or activity staff can't be a year-round job. However, it was awkward for me at times to really make friends with my fellow counselors because I felt I couldn't relate to them. Most of them were still in college or were just starting, and there I was already in my mid-20s. I didn't want to, but I felt it was best for me to move on from having a job at a camp and find something else. And there isn't much out there. I remember the horrible job hunt. My mom used to tell me that job hunting should become your full-time job until you finally find one. I know the process and waiting can be hard. I've been there. If you live in the US, have you heard of indeed.com? Or looked up job hunting sites if you have that sort of thing where you live? They have hundreds of job postings there. That's where I used to make my main search. Even if you get a call back for something you never expected you would be doing, it is a good way to get your foot in the door. Also, maybe send an employer a copy of your resume. Sometimes businesses won't say they're hiring when they are actually looking. I don't know why they don't advertise, but they should.
keioboylove
Lucky Man
Lucky Man

Post by keioboylove » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:54 pm

kazunari wrote:
I know how you feel, too. I was this way after I graduated from college. In the U.S. we were raised to believe that if you go to college, you'll be able to find a great mid to high paying job. Well, it's not entirely true. I went about a year without a job, relying on my mom and I felt like a failure. Lots and lots of either no reply or letters of rejection. So in the end, I went and applied at the local grocery store for a part-time thing, just so I could stop mooching off of my mom because I could see that she was hiding her financial difficulties from me. Five years later, I'm still at the grocery store and I'm a manager now. I actually have grown to like my job and I think it really brought me back down to earth. My store is constantly in need of people to do all sorts of things. Even though it's retail, I make a decent amount of money now. Aaaand I happened to meet my husband there, too.

Keep your head up and keep trying! I hope you get something really soon!!
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:57 am

kazunari wrote:
I know this doesn't exactly help your situation, but as keioboylove and pknumba1 said you're not the only one experiencing this. I, too, have gone through a rather long period of unemployment, and to go from studies+work to nothing made me feel absolutely awful. The longer it took to find even a temp job the more frustrated and annoyed I got. And I really hated the fact that so many companies didn't even bother replying, even if to say sorry but no.

If you have mainly been looking for a job in your field I'd recommend to widen your search. I took a temp job as someone who just typed customers' contact infos to Excel and once the job was done I was offered a permanent job in IT support. I declined 'cause that workplace was from hell because of the teenagers who worked in customer service, but as you can see even not so great jobs can lead to something better :) I will keep my fingers crossed that you can find a job soon!
Nightshadow
Aibaka Moderator
Aibaka Moderator

Post by Nightshadow » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:30 am

kazunari wrote:
I've had problems during college, first just to get into courses and then for getting a thesis, and now for finishing it. All in all, I haven't had a true job. In the meantime, while writing my thesis (which I still haven't finished), I studied specialized translation, and I was a freelance translator for a few years. I did some paid work in a marine mammals lab in my faculty, but officially I haven't had a job, so I'm going to have a bad start with the retirement program we have here and I will have to look into how you get the social security and a lot of things. I agree with Keioboy and Haru, broadening your horizons works. I tried to get a job as an English teacher, but I didn't get it.
kazunari
PIKA☆NCHI
PIKA☆NCHI

Post by kazunari » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:06 pm

Thank you so much guys! I really appreciate all the advice T____T I didn't really want to talk to this with irl friends/family because I didn't wanna seem to make a big deal out of it haha.

I had a final interview today and although I was qualified for the job, they had already hired someone before me. The manager said she'll call me in case the new hire didn't continue or if they need another HR assistant. I cried on the way home because I was looking forward to getting this job haha but it's okay because I didn't exactly ~fail~ the application so I'm more motivated now because I know that I can manage the future interviews (I used to be so nervous because I have no experience and in the dark when it comes to the interview questions).
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:15 pm

kazunari wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:06 pm
Thank you so much guys! I really appreciate all the advice T____T I didn't really want to talk to this with irl friends/family because I didn't wanna seem to make a big deal out of it haha.
(I used to be so nervous because I have no experience and in the dark when it comes to the interview questions).
Everyone goes through it, even the ones who have had their careers for years. I bet you have more friends who have experienced this as well than you think. They could probably give you some advise, as well.

As for the interview questions, every place will have the same generic ones. What are your strengths and weaknesses, how could you contribute to the company, where do you see yourself in 5-10 years, etc. Some have different questions depending on the company. It's a good idea to do some research on them before the interview so you can get an idea of who they are and what their goals are. Employers really like that and it impresses them during the interview. When they ask you if you have any questions for them, try to prepare some ahead of time. Now you get to turn the tables! After all, you'll be working with them and getting to know them over time, just as they will with you. So, they need to get to know you, too. Ask them what their goal as a company is, and how they came up with their mission statement if they have one. I try to ask about two questions during that time, and then some more specific ones like scheduling and all that. Hope that helps!
kantanaamaya
IROあせないで
IROあせないで

Post by kantanaamaya » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:48 pm

kazunari wrote:
I echo everything everyone else said! I'm currently unemployed actually, and I've been job searching since I graduated with my master's degree this past May. I maybe had 4 interviews total, counting the one last week? I felt like such a disappointment to my family who worked so hard to help me get to where I am. Finding this forum really helped, tbh. It's nice having people to talk to that aren't my significant other, especially since we all have at least one common interest (hehe)! Keep your head up, and don't worry! This period of sitting around isn't the long-term.It feels like it lasts forever, but it will pass.

I also have a lot of anxiety when it comes to interviewing. What has helped me out is to think what kinds of things would the employer want to know, and try to prepare answers for common questions. Then I wrote them out and rehearsed those answers! I hate the question "tell me about yourself" and I always ramble, but after writing out specifically what I wanted to say it came out much better this last time. I think the "strengths & weaknesses" one is pretty common, I prepared for that too. When it comes to asking them questions, I always ask "what made you choose [insert organization name]?" I always get interesting stories out of that!
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:18 pm

pknumba1 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:15 pm
When they ask you if you have any questions for them, try to prepare some ahead of time. Now you get to turn the tables! After all, you'll be working with them and getting to know them over time, just as they will with you. So, they need to get to know you, too. Ask them what their goal as a company is, and how they came up with their mission statement if they have one. I try to ask about two questions during that time, and then some more specific ones like scheduling and all that. Hope that helps!
I second all this. When you have questions, even if it's just one or two, it shows that you actually care about the job.

Off-topic, but I just looove how this city takes care of the roads in the area where I live. And by taking care I mean they totally don't. I went for a walk today and fell on my right arm and hurt my right knee. Luckily no bones are broken but damn it hurts.
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:20 pm

iheartaiba wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:18 pm

I just looove how this city takes care of the roads in the area where I live. And by taking care I mean they totally don't. I went for a walk today and fell on my right arm and hurt my right knee. Luckily no bones are broken but damn it hurts.
Potholes or craters, am I right? The only problem is that nothing will be done about the holes in the roads until at least 5 people mess up their suspension and have to pay thousands of dollars to fix their cars, or have no choice but to total their cars. Sad, but true. :/
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:22 am

pknumba1 wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:20 pm
iheartaiba wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:18 pm

I just looove how this city takes care of the roads in the area where I live. And by taking care I mean they totally don't. I went for a walk today and fell on my right arm and hurt my right knee. Luckily no bones are broken but damn it hurts.
Potholes or craters, am I right? The only problem is that nothing will be done about the holes in the roads until at least 5 people mess up their suspension and have to pay thousands of dollars to fix their cars, or have no choice but to total their cars. Sad, but true. :/

Right now the problem is ice. The streets and especially the pavements in this area aren't being ploughed or sanded (or if they are someone is doing a baaad job). They are in an especially bad condition now that our weather goes from around or above zero °C to around -15°C within a short period of time. I get that the city can't clear the streets from ice or snow every single day because this is not a city centre, but this is bad.