Everything about you here.

Moderator: iheartaiba

Nightshadow
Aibaka Moderator
Aibaka Moderator

Re: Totally Random Talk Thread

Post by Nightshadow » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:23 am

Wow, pk, you're really awesome. Good luck on opening night! :hug:

The nearest I've been to acting was weird for me. When I was 16, I tried to audition for Éponine when they put Les Misérables musical in Mexico, and my mom really talked me into it. Back then I could sing higher and I was studying piano semi-professionally, but I couldn't audition because I was too young. That's the only time I've only wanted to act but if I had seen the huge scale of the play, I honestly wouldn't have tried, I would have been too nervous. When I eventually went to see the play, I thought I was completely crazy to try to audition for that. I can memorize lyrics to songs easily, even if they're not in my native language and even if I don't speak the language, but I couldn't memorize a whole play. @_@[/quote]
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:56 pm

@pknumba1: How do you handle stage fear? Or do you ever have it?
I can talk in front of people just fine, but that hasn't always been the case. I overcame the anxiety when talking to a large group of people when I taught in a vocational school. But I can't act, and I don't mean just the talent aspect XD Even when we had to perform different kinds of work situations in small groups at my previous school I refused to do that. I just... can't. It makes me very uncomfortable.

I'm about to hit rock bottom with my depression (and that's why I'm not active here). It's been a long time since I last had a bad period like this. Or maybe this is the worst ever? Well whatever, I'm a mess. The good news is that the oldest of my younger sisters (I have three) promised to come here on Monday. She will "only" stay for four days 'cause she has her own rl issues, but I'm glad someone who understands mental health issues comes for a visit. And I can't always ask my youngest sister, she still has some courses left before graduating (she's the one who usually stays for a week or two). It's probably been years since I last talked to the one who is coming here. We don't live close, and we both just have so many health issues and whatnot. So it's good I can finally talk to her without someone interrupting :) :heart: Hopefully during her visit I feel less crap.

pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:13 am

iheartaiba wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:56 pm
@pknumba1: How do you handle stage fear? Or do you ever have it?
I can talk in front of people just fine, but that hasn't always been the case. I overcame the anxiety when talking to a large group of people when I taught in a vocational school. But I can't act, and I don't mean just the talent aspect XD Even when we had to perform different kinds of work situations in small groups at my previous school I refused to do that. I just... can't. It makes me very uncomfortable.

I'm about to hit rock bottom with my depression (and that's why I'm not active here). It's been a long time since I last had a bad period like this. Or maybe this is the worst ever? Well whatever, I'm a mess. The good news is that the oldest of my younger sisters (I have three) promised to come here on Monday. She will "only" stay for four days 'cause she has her own rl issues, but I'm glad someone who understands mental health issues comes for a visit. And I can't always ask my youngest sister, she still has some courses left before graduating (she's the one who usually stays for a week or two). It's probably been years since I last talked to the one who is coming here. We don't live close, and we both just have so many health issues and whatnot. So it's good I can finally talk to her without someone interrupting :) :heart: Hopefully during her visit I feel less crap.

Stage fright is a very real thing with me. Mostly during the first night. I've taken a couple speech classes in college so I learned how to plow through delivering a speech with anxiety and nerves with adrenaline. Acting helped that too. Actually acting is very therapeutic for me in times like that because I can be someone else. Experience is also a thing.

I hope you and your sister have a good time visiting each other and helping each other. I'd say more here, but I'm exhausted so I may head to bed early tonight. :tired: :tired:
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:14 pm

My sister went back home yesterday. We had a good time, it was nice to really talk to her after a looong time :) I've been feeling quite good today - even went for a walk and it was okay.

I suddenly realised it's almost Dec! How did that happen... And we still have no snow :/
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:40 am

November kind of flew by, didn't it? I think it helps to be super busy with things, like plays. Mine went pretty well. We had quite a few days where people forgot their lines or flipped their lines. I've never been in a play where there were so many screw ups before, but what can you do? There were several moments during tech week that I wanted to shoot myself in the head just because people needed to be fed their lines every single time. We had been at this play for a month and they didn't have half of their lines memorized yet. It was very frustrating to me. But we all got through it. And now it's over. And now my life returns to the mundane.

Tonight was our last performance, so of course we had to go out with a bang or do something memorable, right? During one scene, the four main girls are taking a beach trip and one of them sneaks in a flask with her. She is supposed to drink from it and the rest of us are supposed to scold her that just because it just became legal didn't make it right to do it in public. Well, that's what my character said anyway. Later, we all take a toast for our friendship from the flask and up until tonight, we've all been pretending there was alcohol in it and make faces. Tonight was different. Tonight there was actual gin in the flask and we were not told ahead of time! One of the other actors sneaked it in the flask. I knew it was in there because I could hear it sloshing inside the flask as it was passed around, but I kept going with the scene. I also knew for weeks that someone was going to play a joke and put real alcohol in it. So, when I did a toast, I took a big swig and "pretended" to choke and cough, but I was really choking on it. Man, gin burns when it goes down the throat!! Apparently it looked real enough, but the techies in the sound booth who were in on the prank were rolling and crying from the big swig I took. They thought it was great! They almost couldn't concentrate during the cues for the blackouts.

My first taste of gin. XP
forror
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by forror » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:09 pm

Glad to know your show went swimmingly (fluffed lines aside), and it's great how you manage to put yourself out there on a stage. I already loathe delivering presentations in large auditoriums. I absolutely adore theatre and had I gone down another career path, I would've picked stage management or set design.

Just out of curiosity, how much freedom does the director - or even writer - allow you to develop your own character? There have been a number of theatre shows I've paid repeated visits to where different actors put different spins on the same character. But there are times when some of the choices they make are so bizarre - it's not just a one-off and talks during the interval or later on in forums suggest I'm not the only one to find it jarring - that you wonder why someone didn't step in to reign the actor in a little. Of course, it's all subjective and quite simply wasn't my cup of tea...
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:28 pm

forror wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:09 pm
Glad to know your show went swimmingly (fluffed lines aside), and it's great how you manage to put yourself out there on a stage. I already loathe delivering presentations in large auditoriums. I absolutely adore theatre and had I gone down another career path, I would've picked stage management or set design.

Just out of curiosity, how much freedom does the director - or even writer - allow you to develop your own character? There have been a number of theatre shows I've paid repeated visits to where different actors put different spins on the same character. But there are times when some of the choices they make are so bizarre - it's not just a one-off and talks during the interval or later on in forums suggest I'm not the only one to find it jarring - that you wonder why someone didn't step in to reign the actor in a little. Of course, it's all subjective and quite simply wasn't my cup of tea...
I absolutely loathed any speech class I had to take in college, mostly because I knew I was being judged by my peers and my professor about what I was saying. I was anxious about whether or not what I was saying made sense, if they learned from it, or said any absolute truth if they agreed or not. With theater, it's more about performance for me. My audience kind of goes along with whatever I'm saying or doing and there's no judgement. Plus I'm being somebody who is not me at all.

As for character development, ehhh it's depends on the director I have come to realize. In college, my directors let me come up with my own background even if it's already established. That was probably because they made us do that for the grade. Any theater I did in college was for a grade, so there were times when directions were FINICKY. One professor would make you do something as little as taking one step to the side. If not, then your acting was stale or off. She really wanted us to follow any initiative we felt and act it out. The directors at the community theater where I am now have all been different. The last one pretty much let us do whatever we wanted with our characters. There wasn't a whole lot of "directing" from him. I'm sure he had his reasons because he's done off Broadway shows longer than I've been alive. It was just hard sometimes to sit by and watch actors without much experience be so monotone or get away with being fed line after line.

The bottom line is: it depends on the director.
Nightshadow
Aibaka Moderator
Aibaka Moderator

Post by Nightshadow » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:04 pm

Haru: I hope you're feeling better, if only just a bit. :hug:

pknumba1: I'm sorry, I can't stop laughing at your story, it's so fun! XD XD XD Really, that was your first gin? And straight!!! Yes, gin burns, don't try cognac or brandy, it burns worse, imo. It was a good prank. XD Apart from that, congrats on finishing that well, too bad there were so many mistakes, but as you said, there's nothing you can do about it. I'm glad you had a good time. :hug:

I finished writing my thesis on Thrusday, and I'm sooooo happy!!!! It's been rough, now I just need my director to read it, check it, and I'm working with my brother so he can do the drawings. It's about two iguanian's bones, I did the description, so because it's anatomy, it's always nice to have drawings as well as photos. Hopefully I finally get my bachelor's degree next semester. ^_^

I love the new banner also. ^^
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:36 am

Nightshadow wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:04 pm

pknumba1: I'm sorry, I can't stop laughing at your story, it's so fun! XD XD XD Really, that was your first gin? And straight!!! Yes, gin burns, don't try cognac or brandy, it burns worse, imo. It was a good prank. XD Apart from that, congrats on finishing that well, too bad there were so many mistakes, but as you said, there's nothing you can do about it. I'm glad you had a good time. :hug:

I love the new banner also. ^^
I don't drink very often, but it seems that whenever I do, it's something hard. My very first drink was a tequila. No wonder I'm not partial to alcohol.

I noticed the banner changed last night while I was changing my icon. Gotta get ready for Aiba's bday! I had to find a new one because the ones I have are either too big or ones I don't like enough. The banner had changed when I was on one page in the forum and I flipped to another. That caught me off guard!
Nightshadow
Aibaka Moderator
Aibaka Moderator

Post by Nightshadow » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:42 am

I'm Mexican, and my first drink was vodka. XD I really like tequila, alone or with grapefruit soda, we call that a paloma (dove), and it's not as rough. Margaritas are a rougher than palomas. I also don't drink very often and I like to enjoy my drinks, so I don't like shots that much. Ever since I had thyroid surgery, my alcohol tolerance became really low in comparison, so I have changed my way of drinking.

Aiba's B-day is higher in my book than Xmas. I dunno, Xmas is not so exciting for me, I don't do the huge family reunion, so it's practically just one other day. I haven't changed my icon in forever, maybe I should.
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:04 am

I tend to change my icon a lot.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:50 am

Congrats Nightshadow for finishing writing your thesis! :)

Would you believe if I said that, in a way, it took me three days to make the new header image XD I opened Photoshop, stared at it, searched for pics, checked videos on youtube, checked evem more videos... :D Of course the actual work didn't take long, but I needed two days before I could get anything done. I'd like to change the header twice a year or so but it's always pain in the butt to make one.

My identity card expired in May (oops) but it wasn't until yesterday that I finally went I got a new photo taken. I just hate being photographed :/

It finally snowed yesterday evening! But it looks like it's pretty much all slush now. I still have a runny nose, but mentally I have felt better so I have gone for a walk pretty much every day now, mainly in the evening. Nothing vigorous, just enjoying the fact I'm able to step out of my home.
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:17 pm

Your identity card? Is that like a driver's license, only without the driving? That's how I perceive identity card. That's the best one I have myself. Back in my student days, it was my student id card.

We had rain a couple days ago and all of our snow was washed away. Most of it anyways. There are still some little banks of snow leftover from the plowers, but most of the light stuff is gone. It will snow again in a couple of days but not much. It's definitely cold enough for it though.

My city is under a water boiling alert. Meaning everyone has to boil their water for the next 48 hours and then dump it down the sinks. Apparently the city's pipes froze overnight and some had burst, so all of the schools in the city closed down. I bet the kids were happy to find out about that at the last minute. Me, I'm not under the water alert, I'm just out of the zone. Yay me.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:48 am

It is the same size as driver's license and, well, other cards :D But besides being a photographic proof of one's identity an identity card can also be used as a travel document when travelling in EU and because it contains a chip it can also be used for electronic identification. In Finland driver's license is not an identity card or a travel document. People could have used their driver's license as a proof of identity in certain situations, but the law is getting stricter and for example starting from January a driver's license cannot be used when a strong electronic identification device is issued. An identity card is only valid for five years.

Today it's our independence day! :) And for once there is a little bit snow - just a little bit - and the sky is clear. Yay~
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:48 pm

You know something, I think I have one of those things. I got one when I was planning on going to Japan, but I ended up going to England and Ireland instead. It's just an ID card and kind of greenish. It has the same picture of me as my passport does. Speaking on which, I need to renew my passport. It expires next year. I haven't left the country in 8 years, but I feel like having one when you don't know when you'll need it will be very helpful.

It's a complete white out right now. Either the weather team didn't see the snow coming or I wasn't paying attention last night. I don't remember seeing snow for today. Oh well.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:12 pm

We got snow today! But it's quite warm so I bet it's not gonna stay long. Still, I love how white it is :heart:

I did some Christmas shopping today. I'm not buying many presents, just for my nieces and nephew and something little for my youngest sister. I love giving gifts, I just don't like shopping during busy seasons like this (online shopping on the other hand... :D). I have everything for the kids and I know what to get for my sister so I'm all good now. I'm gonna spend this Christmas alone (I don't mind it). Sure it'd be nice to meet all/most of my siblings 'cause I don't see them often (this year everyone seems to go visit our parents around Christmas), but my mother's life goal seems to be ruining everything for everyone so I'm not gonna go there and get insulted and whatnot. It's probably going to be just me, chocolate, Home Alone and maybe some Kamen Rider if I feel like it :D
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:07 pm

I haven't gone Christmas shopping yet, but I do have some ideas. I tend to wait till about two weeks before Christmas because i don't have gift ideas for everyone quite yet.
forror
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by forror » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:14 am

I think my friends and I have passed the point of exchanging gifts - we usually get together on a day other than Christmas, cook and purchase drinks. My family aren't Christian and celebrate Christmas in a traditional sense either, but it's a great excuse to gather for some good, old homecooked food. I'm kind of glad that phase is over - or more precisely, my having to paste on a smile upon opening the presents. I don't exactly have a face that conveys much emotion, even when I'm psyched. (Although, to my astonishment, one guy did describe me as a bubbly personality. This also happened at a job interview, but I was overcompensating for the formality / awkwardness of it all.) However, I do miss the time I used to spend on handmade gifts.

My gift giving is primarily limited to my 3-year old niece, the homeless, or Secret Santa (which is even worse if you're not THAT well acquainted with the recipient).

--------------------

They've scrapped ID cards here in the UK, but what with Brexit and, presumably, new immigration policies, they may look to reintroduce the scheme again. I'm more surprised that they're looking to return our British passports to the blue colour. I wasn't born early enough to recognise it as any colour other than burgundy.

--------------------

@iheartaiba: Is that Riida you have as your icon? I absolutely adore it - and the colours.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:32 pm

When I was a kid Christmas was always about sauna, good food and presents for my family. We aren't Christian so yes, it's a materialistic holiday for us. But as an adult I have never felt like I have to do this and that just because it's Christmas. I think a lot of people make Christmas a chore. I'm more like "if you don't enjoy it then don't do it". I don't like baking so I don't bake. I like giving gifts in general, but I mainly give Christmas presents for my nieces and nephew, maybe my two youngest sisters if I feel like it.

We finally have some snow! Not much, but I take everything I can :D This is great 'cause it's so much nicer to go for a walk when there is snow.

One of my sisters is coming for a visit tomorrow! I'm so looking forward to it 'cause it's already been a year since we last saw each other.

Out of curiosity, does any of you keep a diary or a journal? I don't exactly write anything, but last spring I downloaded this mood tracker app called Daylio because my doctor said something like that might be useful. And I think it is. I have already discovered some patterns and triggers, and I think I'm more prepared for times when everything goes south. It's also good to see that there are times when I'm feeling great (like the past week or so - ever since I ended my therapy) :)

forror wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:14 am
@iheartaiba: Is that Riida you have as your icon? I absolutely adore it - and the colours.
Yes it is :D It's from one of his CMs. I was actually looking for a nice pic of Aiba but then I saw Ohno's CM and I had to make an icon of it. That picture is pretty much me, drinking tea all the time :D