Moderator: iheartaiba

iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Re: Totally Random Talk Thread

Post by iheartaiba » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:58 pm

forror wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:14 pm
I just got back from Copenhagen the other day and it's nice to be in a place where motorists give priority to other road users. If I cycled around the streets here in the UK, the drivers would be more than content to give me the finger and plot how to run me over.

Was it your first time visiting Copenhagen?

UK sounds a lot like Finland. I hear Denmark and The Netherlands are nice places for cyclists.
forror
IROあせないで
IROあせないで

Post by forror » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:57 pm

iheartaiba wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:58 pm
forror wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:14 pm
I just got back from Copenhagen the other day and it's nice to be in a place where motorists give priority to other road users. If I cycled around the streets here in the UK, the drivers would be more than content to give me the finger and plot how to run me over.

Was it your first time visiting Copenhagen?

UK sounds a lot like Finland. I hear Denmark and The Netherlands are nice places for cyclists.
Yep. It also helps that Copenhagen is not as densely populated as some of the cities in my country, especially for a capital city. Makes it more of a stress-free experience to get around for both the residents and the tourists. I'm forever hearing the locals curse around London, but what are they expecting from being in tourist hotspots?

I do forget how expensive Scandinavian countries can be, however.
pknumba1
Cool & Soul
Cool & Soul

Post by pknumba1 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:30 pm

So, how long does it take you guys to drive out of your country? I hear for some it can be a 2 hour drive.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:18 pm

pknumba1 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:30 pm
So, how long does it take you guys to drive out of your country? I hear for some it can be a 2 hour drive.

That's probably true for many of those living in Central and Southern Europe. I live in southern Finland so I either have to cross a sea in order to get to another country (Sweden, Estonia) or travel across the country to get to Russia.

But I'm not complaining. Travelling around Europe is fast and easy (if you have money lol).
pknumba1
Cool & Soul
Cool & Soul

Post by pknumba1 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:09 pm

iheartaiba wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:18 pm
pknumba1 wrote:

That's probably true for many of those living in Central and Southern Europe. I live in southern Finland so I either have to cross a sea in order to get to another country (Sweden, Estonia) or travel across the country to get to Russia.

But I'm not complaining. Travelling around Europe is fast and easy (if you have money lol).
Just curious, are you as far south as Helsinki?

I know quite a few people who have traveled in Europe, either alone or with a friend, and I've admired them for being able to just pack up and go without much of a second thought. I would love to be able to do that. I probably won't do it alone, though.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:14 pm

pknumba1 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:09 pm
Just curious, are you as far south as Helsinki?
No, I live in Tampere:

To be honest, I don't think I could even live in Helsinki. I know it's not a huge city compared to many other capitals in the world, but it's still too big for me. My city has a population of ~232k and you can find everything you need here (including a great hospital, something that's important to me) so I like it here.
pknumba1
Cool & Soul
Cool & Soul

Post by pknumba1 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:13 pm

Helsinki was just a city I found on the southern most part of the map. I actually know nothing about it. ;P My home town has about 10,000 people in it, but during the school year it can double or even triple in population because of the university.
forror
IROあせないで
IROあせないで

Post by forror » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:50 pm

I'd need to drive around 5+ hours to go up to Scotland and 3 hours to Wales. Apart from that, we're on our own little island and would need to cross the channel to France to get to the rest of Europe. Then drive on the other side of the road.
pknumba1
Cool & Soul
Cool & Soul

Post by pknumba1 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:12 am

It's about a 3 hour and 45 minute drive to Ontario, Canada for me. Not that I've ever driven there.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:52 pm

forror wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:50 pm
Then drive on the other side of the road.

I've been watching a lot of British crime dramas lately and I'm always thinking that driving on the left side of the road looks so weird XD
pknumba1
Cool & Soul
Cool & Soul

Post by pknumba1 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:28 pm

I thought it was weird to be on the left side of the road, until I got used to it when I was in England and Ireland. I also got used to looking right first and then left before crossing the road. And then I returned to America and I got thrown off again. I remember double taking so many times before crossing the road because I looked the wrong way first.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:57 pm

I spent my day in Helsinki. Just a random day trip I decided to make without much planning, I only really checked the weather forecast beforehand haha

It was a fine day. Sunny, no clouds. Surprisingly warm, although not as much as one day last week when I could wear a t-shirt outdoors. I didn't do much, I just walked around, played Pokemon Go and enjoyed the lovely day.
pknumba1
Cool & Soul
Cool & Soul

Post by pknumba1 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:14 pm

Funny thing, I didn't even know about Helsinki until I looked it up on Google maps, and now I know someone who is going to Europe next week and one of the cities she's visiting is Helsinki. She mentioned it! Okay, she's a youtuber I've been following for a while, but she says she's going on family vacation to Europe and they're going to Helsinki.
Nightshadow
Aibaka Moderator
Aibaka Moderator

Post by Nightshadow » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:34 pm

pknumba1 wrote:
I live in Mexico, so... Something like 20-22 hours to get to USA, and 28 hours or so to get to Belize or Guatemala, from Mexico City. There are actually buses, some take you to San Diego in like 20 hours approximately. To the southeast you can't get to Belize or Guatemala directly by bus, but you can go to Cancún in a bus that takes 24 hours to get there. From there, it's a 3 or 4 hour ride to leave Mexico.

Somehow, I find it hilarious and totally awesome that some people can leave their country in 2 hours. I can't even cross Mexico City in 2 hours, because of the traffic. I've been stuck 2 hours on a bus, just to get home, when by car on a good day, I could get there in 15 minutes. :|

I've been busy with my thesis, I'm fed up, and I want to throw it out the window. T-T But well, I want to finish it, I have to or I won't graduate. I'm editing some photos and I get distracted often. >_<
pknumba1
Cool & Soul
Cool & Soul

Post by pknumba1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:23 pm

Nightshadow wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:34 pm
pknumba1 wrote:

I've been busy with my thesis, I'm fed up, and I want to throw it out the window. T-T But well, I want to finish it, I have to or I won't graduate. I'm editing some photos and I get distracted often. >_<
What are you writing your thesis on? I never got to write one, not that I'm complaining or anything. I think I got out of it from the program I was in during college.
Nightshadow
Aibaka Moderator
Aibaka Moderator

Post by Nightshadow » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:28 pm

In public colleges in Mexico and some of the private ones, you don't just graduate like in the US, you have to either write a thesis, make an exam, write an essay, prepare a seminar, work for a year in something related to you career and write a report, publish an article and write an essay about it, and some lucky people like arts and graphic design, can take an extra course to graduate. Most careers also need you to present a language exam, in reading comprehension, normally English, but a few are permitted, like French, German and Portuguese. So you have to be more or less fluent in at least one extra language. I had to present two. In some careers, like sciences, if you don't graduate by writing a thesis you can have a really hard time gaining entry to a master's degree, because you haven't proven that you can do proper research, and you have to get admitted to a project before you even gain admission, so you have to convince someone in a lab that you'll be a good researcher. We also don't have minors and mayors, you only study one career from the beginning and while you can focus on one area within (I focused on Paleontology), you're still just focusing on one main career. For master's and doctorates, thesis is the only way to graduate except in a very few private schools and only for masters. And let´s just say, that someone who just graduated from a private school because he paid all the tuition fees is not someone who gets a lot or respect from people who did write a thesis.

Also, you don't only write your thesis, essay or seminar, you have an oral exam. Five researchers have to check your work, you chose them beforehand and they check your thesis and can help guide you and make corrections. One of them is your director, and he is the one that coached you from the beginning, taught you everything you didn't know, and he's the one that checks your work first. The exam is done in a small auditorium, you can invite family and friends and there you normally present your work in 20-30 minutes and then three of the five researchers question you. Then finally they decide whether you pass or not, make you swear the oath, you sign and voilà, you've graduated and earned your degree. The oath varies between careers and faculties, the famous one is for MDs, they swear the Hippocratic Oath. The rest just swear to be objective, professional, help the community with your knowledge and be ethical and such.

So, I didn't exactly have a choice but to write a thesis. XD I studied Biology and my thesis is a description of the skeleton of two iguana genres, two species of one, and three of the other. One is native to Mexico and the other is horned lizards, that live also in the South of the US. Not very many people around the world study or research animal anatomy, but I really like it. Writing a thesis is really hard work, and depending on the area, it can involve lab work, field trips, and things like that. Some careers and areas are easier because you only research and write.

You got lucky, but it really depends on the way things are done in your country. ^^ I complain, but not really, because I know the advantages I have because of my thesis. You go through periods of loving it, finding it meh, getting frustrated and downright hating it and wanting to kill everything related to it.
pknumba1
Cool & Soul
Cool & Soul

Post by pknumba1 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:25 pm

Nightshadow wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:28 pm
You got lucky, but it really depends on the way things are done in your country. ^^ I complain, but not really, because I know the advantages I have because of my thesis. You go through periods of loving it, finding it meh, getting frustrated and downright hating it and wanting to kill everything related to it.
It sounds much simpler than graduating to me. I took so many detours and changes in my major because 1) I changed mine during the middle of my second year because I couldn't quite pick what I wanted to major in exactly, but I knew I wanted music. I finally picked the focus I wanted, and that focus had two other focuses within that major. Drama and broadcasting. I chose Drama. I got the chance to take acting and theater classes and be in the play and/or musical that was opening that semester. Sounds fun, but you were graded on your performance and how much you improve. Which is why I'm so picky in community theater.

Another drag about my major is that the classes for my major in order to graduate were only offered every other year in the spring. I was devastated when I realized I still had another year of college just because I could not get into that one class.

One of my professors referred to my major as a "three-ring circus" and he was absolutely right about that. It had classes from the music department, the ministry department, and the drama department.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:31 pm

Writing a thesis is pain in the butt. I have written three, one for upper secondary school (easy) and two for university of applied sciences. Good luck, Nightshadow! I know you can do it :)

I think I experienced my very first migraine today. My head still hurts and I feel sick so I'm off to bed even though it's still early.
pknumba1
Cool & Soul
Cool & Soul

Post by pknumba1 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:30 pm

I didn't have migraines for years and wondered why, and then suddenly a few years ago, I started experiencing them whenever there was low pressure, or high pressure in the weather before a storm system rolled through. I would always get severe headaches that felt like a ring all the way around my head and I could not figure out why. That's never happened before. It's a pain, literally.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:54 pm

I should have known the layout would be gone when I got an e-mail saying the forum version had been auto updated...
Edit: fixed.

I pretty much always get an awful headache when it's grey outside (not just cloudy but quite dark too) and/or low pressure. But this was the first time I felt sick, nauseated. And my head hurt sfm.