Totally Random Talk Thread

Everything about you here.

Moderator: iheartaiba

kazunari
PIKA☆NCHI
PIKA☆NCHI

Re: Totally Random Talk Thread

Post by kazunari » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:19 am

Just finished watching Coco and My Life as a Zucchini. Both are heartwarming films and my face is filled with tears. <3
Nightshadow
Aibaka Moderator
Aibaka Moderator

Post by Nightshadow » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:18 am

Don't hate me, but I paid... 1 dollar cent (or euro cent, they're the same nowadays) per year. 20 cents in my currency, Mexican peso (MXN). Only really stingy people pay only that even if the minimum daily wages are 4 dollars/euros. You can donate as much as you want to. That's only the tuition fee, my university doesn't have dormitories but it's so well located that even if you live faraway or on the near states, you can travel there and it is cheaper than finding an apartment near. You can also rent a cheap room near. The most expensive university charges more or less what you paid and you can't live there either. Around here, I haven't heard of one university in the country that has dormitories, it's just not our style, I guess. Some careers are cheaper because you need less books, photocopies or materials, others need more. I had to pay for field trips also and all the material for dissecting and for any labs that required it, so my career was on the more expensive side than say, law or administration.

I think I would have worked first, saved some money and then thought about going to college. That's one of the options I have if I want to get a master´s degree, because the materials would be more expensive. Or if I could go abroad to study.

I wish everybody could have options to study college for free, or that they gave more scholarships or gave discounts considering grades or something like that. Or if you studied careers that are not popular, or harder, or that were necessary for the country. I think the US needs free education, honestly, and social security the way we have it in Mexico. You pay too much for a doctor too, here any worker has social security and they get to go to the doctor for free, they get the medicine, any surgery necessary, everything, and the family too. If you don't work, there are options that include either you entering a different kind of social security that does not cover too many major procedures (but covers some cancers and HIV, for example) and gives you the medicine. Or you can go and pay about 75 cents USD/euro for an appointment with a doctor.

@Haru: I hope you had an awesome trip. I've never gone fishing, I think I wouldn't catch anything.

@Kazunari: Coco is such a beautiful movie, and I was actually very skeptical about it. I didn't think Disney would really get Mexican culture right, and I honestly never thought they would put the grandma hitting everybody with her sandal, I thought they would deem it too violent. But they did! This is something very classical for all of us, we all got beaten with our mothers' sandals XDDDD We even say that behind every good person, there is a mother threatening and hitting them with the infamous sandal XDDDDD The grandma threatening with the sandal was a huge part of the publicity here. But just so you know, we are not that mean with the offerings, you can put only one picture, or even none at all and it still counts for every member of the family who's passed away if you want it to. Or even for a friend, a loved one, a hero, whoever, if you want it to be that way. :) The offering at Miguel's house is super awesome, something we would all admire. The Aztec underworld is not like that one, but I guess the "real" one would be way too complicated and not as children friendly. I never thought Disney would make a movie that is so beautiful, that has a boy as the leader again (I've missed that, I love Aladdin and Treasure Planet), that would tear at my heartstrings so much, and that would make me so proud of being Mexican. And with Day of the Dead as the central topic! That's my favorite holiday ever. It makes me so happy that you liked it, on so many different levels. :hug:
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:12 pm

I'm back!
Unfortunately we didn't have much luck catching fish. Me and my brother caught 0 (5 fishing trips) and my dad two (7 trips). It really sucked especially as this week was supposed to be a good time for fishing. Guess not.

But, it was still a nice trip. It was great to see my brother after a long time.
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:35 pm

^Got any tips for fishing?
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:40 pm

pknumba1 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:35 pm

Make sure your fishhook doesn't show (fish aren't that dumb), move your fishing rod a little bit once in a while so that your fishhook doesn't stay in the same place all the time (up and down movements are good) and be patient :D
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:46 pm

iheartaiba wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:40 pm
pknumba1 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:35 pm

Make sure your fishhook doesn't show (fish aren't that dumb), move your fishing rod a little bit once in a while so that your fishhook doesn't stay in the same place all the time (up and down movements are good) and be patient :D
That's a good tip. I never knew that. I knew to try keep the hook from showing through the worm, but I could barely impaling them with it. I always feel bad. I seriously feel their pain and start saying "sorry! sorry!" over and over while sticking the hook in them.
kantanaamaya
IROあせないで
IROあせないで

Post by kantanaamaya » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:17 am

iheartaiba wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:12 pm
I'm back!
Unfortunately we didn't have much luck catching fish. Me and my brother caught 0 (5 fishing trips) and my dad two (7 trips). It really sucked especially as this week was supposed to be a good time for fishing. Guess not.

But, it was still a nice trip. It was great to see my brother after a long time.
I'm glad to hear you had a nice trip!

My cousin got married on Saturday, and I was supposed to fly out to see her, but we had so much snow the flights kept getting cancelled. :crying: I'm so sad I missed her wedding, but I got to chat with her a bit after and she already posted lots of pictures! I really want to visit soon though, she had a baby recently and I want to see her~.
kazunari
PIKA☆NCHI
PIKA☆NCHI

Post by kazunari » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:42 am

Nightshadow wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:18 am
@Kazunari: Coco is such a beautiful movie, and I was actually very skeptical about it. I didn't think Disney would really get Mexican culture right, and I honestly never thought they would put the grandma hitting everybody with her sandal, I thought they would deem it too violent. But they did! This is something very classical for all of us, we all got beaten with our mothers' sandals XDDDD We even say that behind every good person, there is a mother threatening and hitting them with the infamous sandal XDDDDD The grandma threatening with the sandal was a huge part of the publicity here. But just so you know, we are not that mean with the offerings, you can put only one picture, or even none at all and it still counts for every member of the family who's passed away if you want it to. Or even for a friend, a loved one, a hero, whoever, if you want it to be that way. :) The offering at Miguel's house is super awesome, something we would all admire. The Aztec underworld is not like that one, but I guess the "real" one would be way too complicated and not as children friendly. I never thought Disney would make a movie that is so beautiful, that has a boy as the leader again (I've missed that, I love Aladdin and Treasure Planet), that would tear at my heartstrings so much, and that would make me so proud of being Mexican. And with Day of the Dead as the central topic! That's my favorite holiday ever. It makes me so happy that you liked it, on so many different levels. :hug:
I was actually curious about the reception from Mexicans, I only know that it's the highest grossing film of all time in Mexico. :) The Day of the Dead here isn't as colorful and lively as Mexico's hehe. We do visit them and light candles for them and offer food but there was never that idea of having fun as it is the day that they would visit us.

Coco won Best Animated Film at the Oscars and Remember Me won Best Original Song. I actually teared up when Oscar Isaac announced Coco and when the director, Lee Unkrich had his speech. The performance of Remember Me was also so beautiful.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:05 pm

pknumba1 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:46 pm
That's a good tip. I never knew that. I knew to try keep the hook from showing through the worm, but I could barely impaling them with it. I always feel bad. I seriously feel their pain and start saying "sorry! sorry!" over and over while sticking the hook in them.
:D I think many feel that way at first.

kantanaamaya wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:17 am
My cousin got married on Saturday, and I was supposed to fly out to see her, but we had so much snow the flights kept getting cancelled. :crying: I'm so sad I missed her wedding, but I got to chat with her a bit after and she already posted lots of pictures! I really want to visit soon though, she had a baby recently and I want to see her~.
That sucks :/ I hope you get to see her and her baby soon!
keioboylove
Lucky Man
Lucky Man

Post by keioboylove » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:41 pm

JE YouTube Channel. WELCOME TO 2018 JOHNNY'S
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:49 pm

iheartaiba wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:05 pm
pknumba1 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:46 pm
:D I think many feel that way at first.
I think I just need to go fishing more often and then I'll get over it. The first and last time I went fishing I was 7-years-old, and I didn't really do any fishing. My cousin and my grandpa went fishing a lot together one summer and I felt left out, so I begged to go. I went with them the next day and was really, really bored. Mostly because nobody caught anything. I also got my first major headache that day because it was so humid. So, it wasn't a fun trip.
keioboylove wrote:JE YouTube Channel. WELCOME TO 2018 JOHNNY'S
How about welcome to the 21st century? I hope we can see more Arashi stuff that won't be taken down!
kantanaamaya
IROあせないで
IROあせないで

Post by kantanaamaya » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:09 pm

iheartaiba wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:05 pm
That sucks :/ I hope you get to see her and her baby soon!
I hope so too! I got a refund on my plane tickets so I can fly down some other time, but since I move in a few months I might just wait until I'm down there anyway.
keioboylove wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:41 pm
JE YouTube Channel. WELCOME TO 2018 JOHNNY'S
RIGHT?! 2018 is like a whole new era of Johnny's, with the photo ban being lifted (a bit, but still) and now this. :thumbsup:
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:58 pm

pknumba1 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:49 pm
I think I just need to go fishing more often and then I'll get over it. The first and last time I went fishing I was 7-years-old, and I didn't really do any fishing. My cousin and my grandpa went fishing a lot together one summer and I felt left out, so I begged to go. I went with them the next day and was really, really bored. Mostly because nobody caught anything. I also got my first major headache that day because it was so humid. So, it wasn't a fun trip.

My granny loved fishing so when I was a kid I sometimes went fishing with her. Not many times, unfortunately. But I'm glad we had other things in common (she passed away three years ago). Anyway, I was around 25 when dad asked me if I wanted to go fishing with him and I thought why not. And that's how it started :D I don't need to chat with someone when I fish, but I still want to go with someone (either my dad or one of my sisters).

As for the JE Youtube thing... WHOA. I wonder why the sudden changes. I don't mind, of course. I'm just curious why now. JE still has the same people running the business, right? The next we know Nino tweets snarky comments and Sho vlogs lol
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:32 pm

I wanna see Sho vlogs!! Can you imagine him vlogging while walking down the streets in Korea (where he goes all the time)?
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:47 pm

pknumba1 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:32 pm
I wanna see Sho vlogs!! Can you imagine him vlogging while walking down the streets in Korea (where he goes all the time)?

I'm not sure I could handle Arashi members using social media sites. It'd be too awesome haha
Though I can picture Jun in instagram :D
kantanaamaya
IROあせないで
IROあせないで

Post by kantanaamaya » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:50 pm

iheartaiba wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:47 pm
I'm not sure I could handle Arashi members using social media sites. It'd be too awesome haha
Though I can picture Jun in instagram :D
A Jun instagram would be everything. :heart: But also the Nino Twitter and Sho vlogs lol.
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:41 pm

All of it would be awesome! I wonder what kind of stuff Aiba would post about. I can see Ohno posting a few at once and then we'd never see anything from him for weeks or months.
Mura_Kaze
IROあせないで
IROあせないで

Post by Mura_Kaze » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:18 am

Oh my God. It's been a while. Sorry if I'm not checked the forum recently huhuu T_T I'd a hectic months.

First, I need a teeth surgery. Last time I said my teeth's hurt. And after panoramic X-Ray, I found out there's one tooth grow in upper gums. Horizontally. Me and my doctor had cringe laugh when we see the X-Ray XD

Second, I'll be in engangement next month. There's a cultures in my country, we must make a family party when someone in the family make an engangement. Something like that. Me and my bf hoping it'll be smooth. I feel excited lol

And about JE Youtube. What's the deal? It so suddenly happen hahaha XD
Nightshadow
Aibaka Moderator
Aibaka Moderator

Post by Nightshadow » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:26 am

kazunari wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:42 am
I was actually curious about the reception from Mexicans, I only know that it's the highest grossing film of all time in Mexico. :) The Day of the Dead here isn't as colorful and lively as Mexico's hehe. We do visit them and light candles for them and offer food but there was never that idea of having fun as it is the day that they would visit us.

Coco won Best Animated Film at the Oscars and Remember Me won Best Original Song. I actually teared up when Oscar Isaac announced Coco and when the director, Lee Unkrich had his speech. The performance of Remember Me was also so beautiful.
The team of animators did visit Mexico an the only time no one wanted to see the movie was when there was a rumor that Disney was trying to put a trademark on Day of the Dead. All hell broke lose for more than a year until Disney said that it wasn't the case, but since they took something like three months to say something about it after it got really big, Disney had a huge backlash from Mexico, and in all honestly, we all thought they were going to try to do that. Afterwards, when we started really seeing something about the movie, we were super skeptical because for one, Disney is not exactly accurate when adapting stories, and second, we thought it was going to be a lame version or that instead of going to the source, they would base it more on Chicano (people of Mexican descent born in the USA) culture than Mexican. Some went as far as saying gringos try to ruin everything Mexican, and judging by the abominations the standard American thinks are tacos... well let's just say this was the movie that everyone thought Disney would ruin, and we had seen Road to El Dorado that didn't meet the mark on Mayan culture. But in general, we Mexicans are waaaaay less offended than Chicanos in everything. I think Chicanos get offended by things that we would just laugh about, like Mexican Halloween costumes that are dumb and funny but they find offensive.

There was a lot of publicity on the streets and even in food, like canned beans with Dante's image in it for months before the movie, like 4 or 5, and still we were skeptical. The premiere was at our palais des beux arts, which is the place where operas and classic music concerts take place. It was a huge event and we were all curious about the movie. Then people finally saw the movie on cinemas, and saw it again. I know a lot of people who went twice or more to the cinema to watch it. Memes were made about everyone going to the offering to put the pictures you didn't put, even if we know it's not that necessary, then people started bashing everyone who didn't cry, saying we were insensible. There is a general feeling that the only "bad" thing is that we find it has way too much exposition, but well, for us it's normal to know about the cempasúchil flower petals, about the dead coming back for food and about everything, but it's obviously an international movie, so it was not that annoying. This has been the only negative comment, and not in a bad way, more in an: "oh man, I know, get on with the story" *rolls eyes* way. The other comes from people who like me, know a bit more about Aztec mythology than what they teach you in school. It's what I told you about the underworld (Mictlán), since it has different sections and your spirit goes to the section according to your death, like there's one for people who died in a fire, one for drowned ones, for people who were sacrificed and such. But it's like with the exposition, it's not a bad thing and this is more family friendly, particularly because I haven't seen any foreigners (except archaeologists) who really understand the sacrifices. The alebrijes (I don't know how they called them in English, but the spirit animals) are NOT like that. They are just a creation for any occasion and they are more about the figurine, and they are more modern. There are no alebrijes as spirit animals, but I haven't heard of one person not liking the look in the movie. We all want mamá Imelda's flying jaguar, who cares if it's not accurate. Now Dante the dog is of a breed called xolotzcuintle that was considered as a guiding animal to the underworld, but just like the dog, not with colors or anything. And like the Egyptians, important people in Aztec society were buried with one of these dogs. There have also been comments about the dog's name, how Dante is not a common name in Mexico (I've only known one Dante in my life) and that it was based on Dante's Inferno and not on anything Mexican, least of all the underwold, even if both have levels. Most Mexicans refer to the dog as Xolo (pronounced sholo), short for the breed because we find the name Dante too weird for a street dog.

One of the things that Coco did for us, was a pick-me-up. About three weeks before it opened, on September we had a major earthquake, on the 32nd anniversary of the worst earthquake we have been through. Cinemas and Disney launched campaigns to get donations using characters from Coco. I think that was nice ^_^

I really enjoyed the film and seeing way more than everyone, because it's part of my culture. I don't know if anyone really gave some thought to the shoemaker with the green T-shirt. It's the standard T-shirt for the soccer team, but it could just look like a normal green shirt, or that when Héctor paints Miguel's face it looks more like a panda. That's something terribly common and funny for us. Also, the Latin Spanish dub has a lot of our celebrities and you can recognize them by voice. I watched it again yesterday with my dad and he laughed soooo hard when he saw the photo with the ripped off head. This did happen, and it happened in his family so he found it hilarious. It was a way of morally killing someone.

About the JE youtube channel, I was so excited until I found out it was for juniors. I don't like the juniors :crying:
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:15 pm

Nightshadow wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:26 am
kazunari wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:42 am

The team of animators did visit Mexico an the only time no one wanted to see the movie was when there was a rumor that Disney was trying to put a trademark on Day of the Dead. All hell broke lose for more than a year until Disney said that it wasn't the case, but since they took something like three months to say something about it after it got really big, Disney had a huge backlash from Mexico, and in all honestly, we all thought they were going to try to do that. Afterwards, when we started really seeing something about the movie, we were super skeptical because for one, Disney is not exactly accurate when adapting stories, and second, we thought it was going to be a lame version or that instead of going to the source, they would base it more on Chicano (people of Mexican descent born in the USA) culture than Mexican. Some went as far as saying gringos try to ruin everything Mexican, and judging by the abominations the standard American thinks are tacos... well let's just say this was the movie that everyone thought Disney would ruin, and we had seen Road to El Dorado that didn't meet the mark on Mayan culture. But in general, we Mexicans are waaaaay less offended than Chicanos in everything. I think Chicanos get offended by things that we would just laugh about, like Mexican Halloween costumes that are dumb and funny but they find offensive.

There was a lot of publicity on the streets and even in food, like canned beans with Dante's image in it for months before the movie, like 4 or 5, and still we were skeptical. The premiere was at our palais des beux arts, which is the place where operas and classic music concerts take place. It was a huge event and we were all curious about the movie. Then people finally saw the movie on cinemas, and saw it again. I know a lot of people who went twice or more to the cinema to watch it. Memes were made about everyone going to the offering to put the pictures you didn't put, even if we know it's not that necessary, then people started bashing everyone who didn't cry, saying we were insensible. There is a general feeling that the only "bad" thing is that we find it has way too much exposition, but well, for us it's normal to know about the cempasúchil flower petals, about the dead coming back for food and about everything, but it's obviously an international movie, so it was not that annoying. This has been the only negative comment, and not in a bad way, more in an: "oh man, I know, get on with the story" *rolls eyes* way. The other comes from people who like me, know a bit more about Aztec mythology than what they teach you in school. It's what I told you about the underworld (Mictlán), since it has different sections and your spirit goes to the section according to your death, like there's one for people who died in a fire, one for drowned ones, for people who were sacrificed and such. But it's like with the exposition, it's not a bad thing and this is more family friendly, particularly because I haven't seen any foreigners (except archaeologists) who really understand the sacrifices. The alebrijes (I don't know how they called them in English, but the spirit animals) are NOT like that. They are just a creation for any occasion and they are more about the figurine, and they are more modern. There are no alebrijes as spirit animals, but I haven't heard of one person not liking the look in the movie. We all want mamá Imelda's flying jaguar, who cares if it's not accurate. Now Dante the dog is of a breed called xolotzcuintle that was considered as a guiding animal to the underworld, but just like the dog, not with colors or anything. And like the Egyptians, important people in Aztec society were buried with one of these dogs. There have also been comments about the dog's name, how Dante is not a common name in Mexico (I've only known one Dante in my life) and that it was based on Dante's Inferno and not on anything Mexican, least of all the underwold, even if both have levels. Most Mexicans refer to the dog as Xolo (pronounced sholo), short for the breed because we find the name Dante too weird for a street dog.

One of the things that Coco did for us, was a pick-me-up. About three weeks before it opened, on September we had a major earthquake, on the 32nd anniversary of the worst earthquake we have been through. Cinemas and Disney launched campaigns to get donations using characters from Coco. I think that was nice ^_^

I really enjoyed the film and seeing way more than everyone, because it's part of my culture. I don't know if anyone really gave some thought to the shoemaker with the green T-shirt. It's the standard T-shirt for the soccer team, but it could just look like a normal green shirt, or that when Héctor paints Miguel's face it looks more like a panda. That's something terribly common and funny for us. Also, the Latin Spanish dub has a lot of our celebrities and you can recognize them by voice. I watched it again yesterday with my dad and he laughed soooo hard when he saw the photo with the ripped off head. This did happen, and it happened in his family so he found it hilarious. It was a way of morally killing someone.

About the JE youtube channel, I was so excited until I found out it was for juniors. I don't like the juniors :crying:
What is your take on Coco? I don't know a lot about the Day of the Dead, but one of the controversies I heard was that Coco was a copy of The Book of Life. I have one follower who has fallen hard for the movie and now all she ever tweets or blogs is Coco fandom stuff. I don't know if she's Mexican or not, but that might not have anything to do with it. I also heard about the back story for the alebrijes, and thought it was pretty interesting. Very much like Alice in Wonderland.

It always makes me nervous to see people's take on Disney when they come up with something new like make a franchise about a certain culture and everyone thinks Disney will invade and make it something of their own. Well, why wouldn't they? They do own almost every company in the US now. I think there are some good members in Disney who will try to express and portray and certain culture, but not say that they own it. I think they'll make some very small changes only to comply to American audiences, because Disney is an American company.