Your journey in Arashi fandom

Talk about the Fab Five here.

Moderator: iheartaiba

Forum rules
Only Arashi discussions without polls or tests. Posts with polls etc. belong to Yes? No?.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Your journey in Arashi fandom

Post by iheartaiba » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:04 pm

I'm curious, how has your journey in Arashi fandom been? How have you changed as a fan? Have you been away from Arashi fandom at some point?

I've changed A LOT. I remember back when I got into Arashi we didn't have an Internet connection at home. So I took my laptop and went to library and tried to download as many Arashi videos as possible (dl speeds were not superb back then). In summer I often sat near the library at night just to get my Arashi videos/music or to update Aibakaland XD

I remember when Kitto Daijoubu single was released in May '06. I had ordered that single and was anxiously waiting for it. I worked in gardening and while removing weeds I kept on checking my mobile waiting for a text message from my sister :D I had asked her to text me if I get a parcel from Japan lol Then I finally got the text and you bet I biked home FAST when my workday was over lol

During my first years in fandom Arashi was a huge part of my life every single day. I listened to their music every day, Aibakaland was active so I had fans to talk to, I watched their videos over and over again... I was so excited when Aibakaland got huge and STORMY team sub became active.

I was away from fandom for a few years. My semi hiatus started before Aibakaland moved from forumup to prophpBB (that happened in 2013). Maybe it was around 2011-2012? First I stopped taking part in subbing and just did my admin tasks. Then I stopped coming to Aibakaland. It was partly because of my health issues. 2010-2012 was really hard. But I also blame the international fandom itself. People became greedy. Subs had to be out like yesterday. Nothing seemed to be enough. And then there were people shit talking me online (anonymously of course). There were even livejournal posts dedicated to bad mouthing me. I endured that crap since the early days, but when my health got worse I just had enough. I didn't enjoy Arashi fandom anymore. I did like Arashi and kept on listening to their music even when I was away from all Arashi related websites and activities. I moved to k-pop and k-dramas.

I think it was around 2014-2015 when I started to check Aibakaland again. In 2016 I became active here.

I still don't check other Arashi related places (other than Aibakaland + my lj/dw). I took part in subbing SekaMuzu and Zero-G making of, but I won't do any more fansubbing. These days me being an Arashi fan is just watching their videos, sharing their videos, listening to Arashi music and taking care of this forum. I don't talk to Arashi fans outside of Aibakaland, I don't check other international communities, I don't fansub or do graphics... I admit I'm still a bit wary. And because I don't have that much extra money I haven't bought their stuff for several years. I'd love to, though. I guess you could say as a fan I've toned down quite a bit.
spaask
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Re: Your journey in Arashi fandom

Post by spaask » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:45 pm

iheartaiba wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:04 pm
I'm curious, how has your journey in Arashi fandom been? How have you changed as a fan? Have you been away from Arashi fandom at some point?

I was away from fandom for a few years. My semi hiatus started before Aibakaland moved from forumup to prophpBB (that happened in 2013). Maybe it was around 2011-2012? First I stopped taking part in subbing and just did my admin tasks. Then I stopped coming to Aibakaland. It was partly because of my health issues. 2010-2012 was really hard. But I also blame the international fandom itself. People became greedy. Subs had to be out like yesterday. Nothing seemed to be enough. And then there were people shit talking me online (anonymously of course). There were even livejournal posts dedicated to bad mouthing me. I endured that crap since the early days, but when my health got worse I just had enough. I didn't enjoy Arashi fandom anymore. I did like Arashi and kept on listening to their music even when I was away from all Arashi related websites and activities. I moved to k-pop and k-dramas.

OMG I am so so sorry to hear that you had that experience! Like truly!
I haven't been a fan that long - 1 and a half year to be exact - but I guess I have become more dedicated to the work inside the fandom. To begin with I only watched the videos I could find on the internet and then I created a LJ account so that I could join the different communities and such. Now I am running an active FB page (Ai no Arashi) and I have been quite active in Arashiprojects and have started pre-timing Arashi videos for AnM and Sub Sub Gakkou - unfortunately I don't speak Japanese, I would have loved to be a subber if I could.

I have always been so grateful the the subbers in this fandom. I think they have done a tremendous job and being a pre-timer has definitely just given me even more respect as it takes quite some time...at least for me. I wish I could support Arashi more by buying their stuff, but unfortunately I just don't have the money for that right now.

I haven't had too many bad encounters with the fandom yet. But there have been some fans that I thought were completely mental. Like a fan who threatened me with throwing me out of her group, because I asked her if she had permission from the subbing-communities to share a ton of screencaps from their subbed videos in her group (she hadn't and one of the communities threw her out when someone else told on her).

I always feel bad for the subbers when these incidents happens, because they take great risks and do so much work for the fandom when subbing videos, so it saddens me when fans don't show them respect and are grateful.

Anyway I hope you are better now - both with your health and with your feelings to the fandom - thankfully we are not all ungrateful people :heart: :heart:
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:49 pm

My journey started out slow, like really slow, and then after a couple of months it was all at once. The passion, the excitement, the obsession hit me like a tidal wave and the only thing I had at the time was tumblr. I also had no online friends nor friends in real life to help me vent off these feelings. I seriously felt like I was going to explode. Back in those days, I was waiting every week for new episodes of their shows to stream online on dailymotion(Lame, I know. It was all I had!), and the quality was horrible. I had to deal with ads, and sometimes the whole video wasn't even there. I still had no other fans to talk to, then slowly I found one, and then two, and then three. I had no idea how to find the stormy sub lj, and when I did they were inactive so I didn't have access to their subs. Hey, I wanted to support you guys, but it was hard to when the comm was moderated and no one was checking it and the shows were on streaming sites. I'm sorry. :( Though soon I found some comms through the big one: arashi_on and was able to feed my need. Over time I found more fans and more comms opened, plus I found more dramas the boys were in to help me out too. And then I found this forum and I was able to cure my itch. For the most part. I was unemployed and without a car at the time, plus I was living with my parents. I wanted to keep up with the Arashi life but it was hard when no one was on the forum.

Over time, the obsession subsided and I finally was able to breathe(because I got a new car and a new job) so I was able to get better. I'm still very passionate about Arashi, but I'm not trying to find every piece of music, every episode of every show or anything else like that. I was afraid I would miss something. I had missed about 15 years of their stuff, I had a lot to catch up on. There is still a lot of their shows I haven't watched, mostly their DnA, and GnA episodes but I'm going to take it slowly or just not bother with those shows whatsoever. It's a bit overwhelming to think about.

The only time I've dealt with negativity in the fandom was all thanks to a particular Arashi confessions blog on tumblr. At first, I thought it was great. However, the mod doesn't have a lot of rules so anything goes. Which means anyone can post about anything on the blog and take things too far. There were some fans who were very negative and wrong in their thinking about the guys and I felt really bad about it. They made me think about them in ways I didn't want to think about them. I didn't want them to influence me and I was shocked that some fans have these thoughts and feelings about Arashi and other fans so I stopped following the blog. I feel a lot better now. Unfollowing that blog was like a release for me. So refreshing. I don't have to cringe or get nervous every time I see a post on my dash from that blog because of what some immature fan could be saying.
keioboylove
Lucky Man
Lucky Man

Post by keioboylove » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:37 pm

iheartaiba wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:04 pm
My semi hiatus started before Aibakaland moved from forumup to prophpBB (that happened in 2013). Maybe it was around 2011-2012? First I stopped taking part in subbing and just did my admin tasks. Then I stopped coming to Aibakaland. It was partly because of my health issues. 2010-2012 was really hard. But I also blame the international fandom itself. People became greedy. Subs had to be out like yesterday. Nothing seemed to be enough. And then there were people shit talking me online (anonymously of course). There were even livejournal posts dedicated to bad mouthing me.
I so sorry to hear that this happened to you. People can be so rude and ungrateful. The people who dedicate time to badmouthing others don't seem to understand that they're just wasting their own time/lives.

My Arashi journey has been quite long, I feel. I remember being on a really old Asian music forum back in like 2004-2006 and all I listened to was like Utada Hikaru, Puffy, BoA, Ayu, Namie, etc. As much as I loved them at the time, I was kind of getting sick of just listening to girl singers so I asked around that forum for recommendations and eventually someone said Arashi. I had never heard of them and so I watched the Kitto Daijoubu PV and fell in love right then and there. I had a part time job in 2006 so I used all of the money I had saved and started importing Albums/singles one-by-one into 2007. In 2008 I joined LJ and I joined the original Aibakaland as well. I was really quiet in the fandom early on because I felt like it was a very difficult clique to join. There were (rightfully so) a lot of rules where ever you went, people were very protective of their subs (once again, rightfully so). I didn't really feel like I fit in with the fandom, so I primarily used my LJ as an actual journal that only I could see. When I met one of my best friends from college, I realized that I didn't just want to study Japanese as a side thing, I wanted it to be my Major. Arashi had pretty much been my inspiration to learn it in the first place. I hadn't been to concerned with understanding other Japanese artists, but once I really started to get into Arashi I felt the need to understand what they were saying, especially on their TV shows.

So in 2010 I got to study abroad in Kyoto and I had a blast. Arashi was everywhere. They were number one. It was definitely their golden period. I was in heaven. I watched all of their TV shows every week, bought lots of magazines and pics. Went to Johnny's Jimusho with my college best friend in Tokyo and got to see all of their trophies and stuff. It was awesome. Then my time to return to the U.S. came.

My friend and I were still really big fans, but I noticed towards the end of 2011 the fandom started changing. Fewer and fewer things were being released by subbing teams, which at this point, was ok for me because I could pretty much understand most everything said on the shows. But then RAW providers started to disappear. Fun "daily" LJs were starting to not be updated. Megaupload closed down around this time, too. People were getting busy with their real lives. And so was I.
2012 I had to write my thesis and so I wasn't online very much besides to check if they were going to release anything. 2013 I finally graduated and got a job where I work now. I met my ex-boyfriend. He and I started dating and from 2014-2015 I only listened to Arashi. Didn't watch any shows. He didn't like that he couldn't understand and since not many things were being subbed, he deemed Arashi "Dumb" so I stopped watching altogether. I missed them a lot.
We broke up. I met my now-husband and he took interest in my interests. I was like, "Hey, so you're probably going to think this is dumb, but I was obsessed with a Japanese Boy-band for like 7 years..." and He smiled and said, "Oh, yeah? Are they good?" So I showed him old subbed shows that I still had on my laptop. He thought they were hilarious, so I came back to the fandom. And let me tell you how happy I am to have Arashi back in my life. I missed the shows and the other fans that love them, too.

Recently I've been translating songs in order to practice my Japanese. I've forgotten a lot of words, but my grammar is still intact. I want to contribute back to the fandom that gave so much to me for years. I hope that things continue to be good in the Arashi world. :) :heart:
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:13 pm

I should add that even though I have had bad experiences in this fandom there have been a lot of good things as well. What I miss from my early days in fandom is rl people to talk to about Arashi. Two of my sisters used to like Arashi, they were even Aibakaland members during forumup days. It was nice to watch Arashi videos with them. In '09 or before I met other Finnish Arashi fans when we had a meeting at my place. They were from Finnish Arashi livejournal community, I don't think anyone was from Aibakaland. But being able to talk to people who have similar interests as you is important in my opinion. So that's one thing I miss.

It also goes without saying, but Aibakaland has been a big part of my fangirling journey. I don't mind that this place isn't as busy as it was years ago. I'm happy that the place is still alive and there are active members. I'm forever thankful to yuubi, Jeffer and other former staff members who kept the forum and fansub group running while I was away. I can't believe Aibakaland will turn 12 in April!
Mura_Kaze
IROあせないで
IROあせないで

Post by Mura_Kaze » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:41 am

I just joined the fandom 10 months, and Aibakaland is my first Arashi forum XD

I knew Arashi from long time ago, about 2005 or 2006. More than half my friends become Arashi fans, thanks to HanaDan's booming. They've drag me to fandom and showed me Love So Sweet pv. Because I'm a type to say anything honestly, so I said "It's good, but I don't like it.". Then all the crazy fans hate me. And because that, I don't want to become a fans, ever.

Finally I saw their perf in Kouhaku 2012-2013. It struck me, but I still don't want to join fandom. So much bad thing happens with crazy fandom.

Thanks to sane people in fandom and this forum, joining Arashi fandom not as scary as I thought before XD
deedlitmurata
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by deedlitmurata » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:48 am

In my case I have to share my time with other "fandoms" i'm into as well XD so i've always been part of the Arashi fandom since I met them around 2003, I did have some periods where I forgot a bit, but whenever there is a new album release or some new dorama I am immediately back to the fandom xD so I consider that their follow up with their fans is very good, the Arashi VS shows help a lot too to keep them in your mind, and I listen to their songs very regularly, together with those of the other fandoms I am part of too XDDD I am a busy woman LOL
Sleigh
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by Sleigh » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:22 am

I still feel very new in the fandom, so I don't have much of a story. I became aware of Arashi in December of 2016, but I wasn't a fan yet. I didn't dislike them, I just wasn't very interested. It wasn't until the summer of 2017 that I started paying attention to their shows, and then their music. I decided to buy the Are You Happy? album, and an obsession was born.

I had a bad fandom experience years ago (not the Arashi fandom, something else), and it kept me from being active in any sort of fandom since then. I usually tend to have small interactions with individuals who are fans, and don't seek out communities or groups. However, since the easiest way of finding English subbed content for Arashi is to join communities, I've started doing that again. I'm thankful for small communities like Aibakaland, which is much less intimidating than most of the comms I find on dreamwidth and livejournal.
arashinki
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by arashinki » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:53 am

Ten years, It took ten years for me to become Arashi's fans. When I was high school in 2006, I started to watch japanese dorama and I knew JE's talent like kamenashi and yamapi. Since I like them, I got to know JE's group like KATTUN, NewS, Kanjani 8, Arashi, V6. At that time I know who is Arashi, and even watched their doramas, like Stand Up, Maou, The Quiz Show, Hanadan, Bambino, Ryusei no Kizuna. I've download some of their songs and PV's too but I dont know why I'm not following them further. Just it, watch their dorama dan listen the theme song.
Then in early 2016, I watched KAzoku Game and try to search related video about the drama in youtube and, voila... I found vs arashi. I watched bet de arashi segment and thought " Hey is he sakurai sho? matsumoto jun and ohno, the leader that always bullied by his member?" and then it happen. I started to watch their show, searching for their album, concert, and variety etc. Someone told me to join aibakaland, so I can get more informations about Arashi. I'm glad I can join here. Arashi is like stress medicine for me, they are my escapades from real life problems.
kazunari
PIKA☆NCHI
PIKA☆NCHI

Post by kazunari » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:38 pm

I became a fan back in 2008 because Hana Yori Dango aired here in our country. But I was never a hardcore fan and only know a few songs like WISH, Love So Sweet, and the whole of Dream A Live. After that, I got into another fandom (Harry Potter, if I remember correctly) so my interest in Arashi lessened. Rediscovered them in 2013 during the time they were promoting Calling/Breathless. It was a nice year but then come 2014, I got into a mess because I was in this forum and group chat with a few Jun/[Redacted] shippers and it was that time when Jun got a rumor that he's getting married to [Redacted] and I guess I said something that pissed them off hahaha I can't remember now but they were really mad and subtweeted me. I was being logical and their delusional mind can't handle it so I was done. Then I got into kpop and then another mess with a few mutuals and then moved on (from fandom) and never looked back.

I think it's safe to say I'm more of a casual fan now. I'm not the same fan way back 2013 to early 2014. I'm more of a kpop (EXO, in particular) fan now. I still watch and download some shows but not as diligently as before. I still have a few mutuals who are Arashi fans but they're like 3, all in all lol.
inutrasha94
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by inutrasha94 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:18 am

Hmmm! I had the most bizarre introduction ever I think. Some of it is totally unrelated but very important to how I came about to become an Arashi fan.

I was in 8th grade and Naruto was big with my brother and one day he was listening to an ending theme and he was like, "Imari. Listen to this girl her voice is too good to be doing anime songs." Turned out it was Ikimono gakari so I was suddenly thrust into the world of Japanese music. I was obsessively on Youtube watching anything they had, stumbled across Miyavi, then stumbled upon Gackt, and ultimately Kinki Kids. Not knowing anything about Johnny's I found a website that hosted Domoto Kyoudai (not knowing anything about the subbing culture of course) and found Cartoon KAT-TUN. One night I'm watching KAT-TUN and I see a related link and its 5 dudes sitting around a table. I click it, no subs, and not knowing a stitch of Japanese I end up spitting my sides laughing because they're putting this man to sleep and making him do weird things and acting like he's possessed or something?

Then Newshfan jumps on my radar and I immediately make a livejournal. Going through the old Johnny's archive, I keep seeing Arashi pop up and it's a HUGE community. I found D no Arashi and I was baffled they weren't more popular (cause I'm watching their ancient stuff, it's 2009 at this point). And finally I found the index and all the communities and the subbing groups and ALL of their shows. And like a year and a half later I found out I could understand Japanese and it changed my life.

Now I'm back to hopefully get that good feeling back. Because honestly Arashi held me down during high school when I was having a rough time they were my family at that time and I'll never forget that.
ninoMYArashi
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by ninoMYArashi » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:39 am

The very very first I have ever known about Arashi was probably because of HYD but I never was interested in watching the drama or knowing the actors (since I was very selective of watching Jdrama at that time). I only know the main actor is MatsuJun and he was damn popular.

What really started to interest me on Arashi was after I watched Yamada Taro Monogatari in 2007. Though I didnt join the fandom on 2007, I was curious of the group since Nino and Sho appeared in it so I did some research and that was it. I started to focus more into my study so the interest stopped there.

Then, last year I went to Japan because of work and training, and one of my male japanese friend who's not really into music and what not told me about Arashi being popular in Japan. My earlier intention was just to make myself more familiar with japanese language by listening to the music and watching variety shows so I started with the most obvious group and since then I'm hooked XD

I never intended to really like Arashi and being their fan but I fell into the trap of Arashi's awesomeness <333 I am kinda late to the fandom but I'm glad I am in now! ^^
ninoMYArashi
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by ninoMYArashi » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:46 am

iheartaiba wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:13 pm
I should add that even though I have had bad experiences in this fandom there have been a lot of good things as well. What I miss from my early days in fandom is rl people to talk to about Arashi. Two of my sisters used to like Arashi, they were even Aibakaland members during forumup days. It was nice to watch Arashi videos with them. In '09 or before I met other Finnish Arashi fans when we had a meeting at my place. They were from Finnish Arashi livejournal community, I don't think anyone was from Aibakaland. But being able to talk to people who have similar interests as you is important in my opinion. So that's one thing I miss.

It also goes without saying, but Aibakaland has been a big part of my fangirling journey. I don't mind that this place isn't as busy as it was years ago. I'm happy that the place is still alive and there are active members. I'm forever thankful to yuubi, Jeffer and other former staff members who kept the forum and fansub group running while I was away. I can't believe Aibakaland will turn 12 in April!
I understand your struggles truly because that is the very same reason I kinda left my kpop fandom... But I'm still somewhat glad because I made wonderful wonderful friends and gain a lot of maturity because of fandom drama. That is why being in Arashi fandom I only focus on the good things now and I experience a lot more positivity in the current fandom and just HAPPY <3

From your experience I can tell how great you are and this is one of the reason I think why Arashi fandom is still growing strong until now ^^
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:24 pm

ninoMYArashi wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:46 am
That is why being in Arashi fandom I only focus on the good things now and I experience a lot more positivity in the current fandom and just HAPPY <3
I think this is a great idea! No unnecessary drama or headache ;)
threetenfour
Johnny's Jr

Post by threetenfour » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:17 pm

It's been a wild ride for me.

My sister was Jun-Baited in 2005/2006 and I got obsessed shortly after. I watched hours and hours of subbed videos whenever I could. Watched all of C/D/GnA, Shukudai, etc. Kept up with all subbed vids on LJ. Watched pretty much every drama. In December 2009, my sister took me to Japan and we had the most INCREDIBLE two weeks, ending with the 5×10 concert in Tokyo Dome. It was literally a dream come true.

The obsession continued throughout high school. (2009 would have been 9th grade for me). I watched the fandom seem to fall apart with the fansub wars, copyright issues, etc. It was really saddening. I drifted to K-POP as it was more accessible (streaming and YouTube) but I still managed to somewhat keep up.

As 2013 rolled around, I graduated high school, turned 18 and got myself an Arashi tattoo (!!), and I started college. I was known in school as the Arashi fangirl, so it was a little weird that I was hanging out with people who had no idea who Arashi was. I connected with friends via K-POP and I also started stanning an American group called Emblem3. With school and work and a new social life (lol), I just didn't have time to go through LJ every night and download videos, let alone find the time to watch them. I really wanted to go to Hawaii for Blast!, but I was a broke college student and barely 19 years old. Shortly after, I was officially on hiatus.

Once or twice a year since then, I'd try to check LJ and watch a few things. It's like coming home. It makes me a little sad, but they still bring me joy every time I watch them. I'm graduating college soon (this December) and I'm going to try to get myself as caught up as I can. It's definitely more difficult now to find subbed concert downloads and such, but we'll see how it goes haha.

I heard this forum still existed via Reddit and I'm so happy to see how active it is! I have a far-fetched dream of going to Japan next year for their 20th anniversary, so we'll see what happens from here. :)

inutrasha94 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:18 am
And finally I found the index and all the communities and the subbing groups and ALL of their shows. And like a year and a half later I found out I could understand Japanese and it changed my life.

Now I'm back to hopefully get that good feeling back. Because honestly Arashi held me down during high school when I was having a rough time they were my family at that time and I'll never forget that.
OMG THE INDEX. That thing was amazing.

And I agree. My memories of the fandom around high school are so precious to me. They still feel like home. I'm glad I'm not the only one!
Last edited by iheartaiba on Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No double posting~
Nightshadow
Aibaka Moderator
Aibaka Moderator

Post by Nightshadow » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:38 am

For me, Arashi has and always will be mostly about the music and the concerts, even if I started as a photo Jun-baited person, so I'm answering considering only Arashi as a group, and not my fan journey as a fan (or not fan... yep, not fan, please don't kill me) of each of the boys. I hated the first Arashi song I heard, the TV performance for One Love, and I was going to leave it at that, but the woman who introduced me to Arashi didn't give up and showed me what was at that time her favorite Arashi song: Truth. This was around the 5x10, so I got the All The Best! album via another friend (a guy, actually) who kind of likes Arashi because he lived in Japan for many years. It was the music that got me into Arashi and I remember only liking the 2nd and 3rd CDs but not the 1st XD. I tried listening to all I could, which was just the All The Best!, but also some YouTube videos with Arashi music. When the Scene Tour DVD came around, I joined the Mexican Arashi fan community where I met real fans for once, since actually the two people who got me into Arashi don't even count Arashi on their top favorite bands. It was soooo different, but also a bit too extreme for me, but watching the concerts on a cinema screen will be my best memory of that fan club. I went to practically all the events and all the cinema screenings of the concerts until Digitalian, when everyone just went to K-pop and let the community die. :( Through this community I met a couple of subbers, both who sub directly from Japanese, and I still follow the work of the one that still does it. This is how I get most of my concerts from.

I've never watched that many TV shows, I've been more about the music, and watching the One featurette of the tour, subbed by Aibakaland brought me to this community, where I found that there were more types of fans and I felt more at home as a fan. Back then I tried to get all the music and concerts possible, and that is something that I actually still do, but it's easier because now I only have to look every time something is released. So I really haven't changed that attitude much.

Even though I've always had Arashi music on my tiny iPod shuffle and on my phone, I'm kind of in a semi-hiatus since Japonism. Before Japonism I had liked every Arashi album I had heard, and then I downloaded Japonism, copied it on my phone and went to a medical check-up listening to it, and I was so underwhelmed that my semi-hiatus began. I loved Kokoro no Sora, and a couple of other songs, but I had loved Digitalian so much, that maybe that was what made me think Japonism was meh,or maybe I expected too much of it. To this day, I haven't watched Japonism or Are You Happy? concerts, since I didn't like Are You Happy? I navigate towards the older songs, with few exceptions and I've stopped listening at least once a day to Arashi. I've gone a couple of weeks without actually listening to Arashi. I hasn't helped that the more meh Arashi gets, the more awesome my other Japanese favorite band gets, these guys even gave a concert in my city and I went. Untitled was better and I hope Arashi gets back to awesome levels again.
yoonbi
Johnny's Jr

Post by yoonbi » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:32 am

I was Arashi crazed starting around 2007, mostly through LJ, up until 2010 or so and then I moved to Korea and kind of switched fandoms. I still paid attention to them from a distance, especially Nino's dramas and movies, but over time definitely stopped using LJ and stopped listening to and watching their shows.
I am happy to say that because I came across Nino's most recent drama, Black Pean, I suddenly got super back into them and have found the comfort and love I felt before. That's why I joined here because I am looking to reengage in the fandom and meet other people who love them, I really miss talking about Arashi with all the other people who love them as much as I do. I try to show stuff to my bf and he smiles but that's about it haha. I wonder how long this resurgence of obsession will last this time....
forror
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by forror » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:01 pm

I was Jun-baited by Hanadan - it wasn't instant love, but I slowly found myself watching the behind the scenes then the live performance of Love So Sweet. Before I knew it, I was trawling the internet for Arashi-related videos. Fortunately, I was in school back then and used the internet for "homework" purposes. One of the first videos I saw was the giant maguro episode of MMA, which I must guiltily add was streamed online and subbed by the STORMY team. I hadn't known about online subbing communities back then - I just reported the vid after seeing the warning and didn't watch another subbed stream again. After getting into the fandom and seeing all the rules on LJ, it was appalling to see "fans" break the rules of the subbing community time and time again. Many of us even went on drama streaming sites to comment on and/or report the shared videos - there was one particular uploader/moderator whom I found extremely entitled and condescending when responding to our requests to take down the videos or when we tried to notify uniformed viewers of the stolen videos.

Having found out about STORMY through the aforementioned video, my first forum (of any fandom) was Aibakaland, and I was only a lurker before registration and post counts were required. When those rules came into force, I refrained from joining for quite a long while as I felt guilty about joining purely for the subbed videos. When I eventually did, I found many lovely fellow fans to share my deeper/silly thoughts with and Rina-chan(?) had set up a page for us to exchange Christmas cards - I received a number of handmade Arashi ones :)

By the time 2011/12 swung by, real life got in the way of things and I fell out of many fandoms. My only Arashi regrets are 1) deleting my entire video collection and am no longer able to help reupload videos, and 2) selling my LE version of 5x10. And perhaps seeing the boys live (but Johnny made it clear we, international fans, would have to sell our houses and souls and future grandchildren to even get the PRIVILEGE to buy tickets). I'm not sure how much things have changed...

Even though my Arashi fan days are over - I tried again, but that love never returned - I wish the boys all the best with their personal and professional lives. And the upcoming Olympics.

--------------

I am shocked to hear about the badmouthing. The nerve of some people.

But I am truly grateful for what you and the team have created here with Aibakaland. I'm no longer on LJ or Dreamwidth, but this forum had been a mainstay of my teenage years and we still have a bunch of lovely people here, to this day. I feel like a crazy ghost refusing to let go.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:13 pm

forror wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:01 pm
I am shocked to hear about the badmouthing. The nerve of some people.

But I am truly grateful for what you and the team have created here with Aibakaland. I'm no longer on LJ or Dreamwidth, but this forum had been a mainstay of my teenage years and we still have a bunch of lovely people here, to this day. I feel like a crazy ghost refusing to let go.

It's so easy to bully people online... :/

I'm really happy that Jeffer, yuubi & co. didn't let this place die when I was away. I like it that there is a place where I can still talk to fellow fans. I don't even mind that Aibakaland isn't super busy anymore.

Nightshadow wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:38 am
For me, Arashi has and always will be mostly about the music and the concerts, even if I started as a photo Jun-baited person, so I'm answering considering only Arashi as a group, and not my fan journey as a fan (or not fan... yep, not fan, please don't kill me) of each of the boys.

[...]

I've never watched that many TV shows, I've been more about the music, and watching the One featurette of the tour, subbed by Aibakaland brought me to this community, where I found that there were more types of fans and I felt more at home as a fan. Back then I tried to get all the music and concerts possible, and that is something that I actually still do, but it's easier because now I only have to look every time something is released. So I really haven't changed that attitude much.

I think the plus side of forums is that it brings together all kinds of fans (versus some other social media platforms). Forums work well for casual fans, fans of a certain member, fans who watch and listen to everything etc. :)

I'm glad you find your way to Aibakaland. You have helped us a lot and I really appreciate it :heart: