Moderator: iheartaiba

Stulti
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Japanese & JLPT

Post by Stulti » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:27 pm

Hey,

i hope it is ok to start a thread ^^' my first time in this community :3

I was wondering, since I read in the job/study thread, that some people live in Japan and/ or studied japanese, east asian studies and so on, do the community members speak japanese, how they learned, did they take the jlpt and so on an so forth. I hope you get what I mean ;D words are not my strong suit.

so I self studied japanese (with the help of Arashi and Drama and books and stuff) I took the JLPT N3 I think 2 years ago, but kind of let it go away from me, so I haven't even tried the N2. kind of stuck on the kanji. and as most of the time with self study, my speaking and writing are not really good, but I would like to think my listening and understanding is quite good.

well I hope you guys might like to share your experience and maybe even have some study tips or resources.
Dyani
Aibaka Moderator
Aibaka Moderator

Re: Japanese & JLPT

Post by Dyani » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:59 pm

I was just thinking the other day there should be a topic for this, so it's great you started this :) I'm what you would call a "forever beginner". No schools or courses in my area, and I can't seem to motivate myself or stay focus long enough to make significant progress on my own. I have some textbooks, but most of them aren't that great (basic stuff, romaji everywhere).
Workbooks are the best method for me, but there's only a handful available here. I've already finished one that doesn't even cover N5, and there are maybe 5 kanji in it lol. But I recently bought N5 and N4 workbooks, and N3 textbook published by a school that focuses on JLPT, and they're supposedly very good, so fingers crossed it'll motivate me to do some studying.

For those who are starting out, there's a site with reading materials for children (PDF, printable), but I find those fun and helpful. There isn't much on it yet, but it seems it will grow - there's already a bit more than last time I checked. Here's a link with files for level 0 (very basic, mostly kana):

Code: Select all

https://nihongotokuhon.jimdo.com/レベル別読み物/レベル0/
You can pick the level in the menu at the top (nothing for levels 3 and 4 yet, but hopefully with time...).
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:28 pm

Dyani wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:59 pm
I'm what you would call a "forever beginner". No schools or courses in my area, and I can't seem to motivate myself or stay focus long enough to make significant progress on my own.
I'm the same as you. I have an ebook about learning Japanese in 90 days and I haven't even looked at it. I rely on Japanese variety shows and dramas to teach me. :P Someday i will get more motivation, but every day my dream to make it to Japan becomes smaller and smaller as I try to figure out my life.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:41 pm

Dyani wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:59 pm
and I can't seem to motivate myself or stay focus long enough to make significant progress on my own.

This is me, ha XD
I actually was okay-ish years ago. Good enough to translate a movie even (my one and only translation work), though I did need a spot translator. Anyway, I've never studied Japanese at school or taken "official" courses. The city where I currently live does offer Japanese courses but I don't have any motivation to study anything anymore. Too bad the town where I grew up didn't offer any Japanese courses.
Dyani
Aibaka Moderator
Aibaka Moderator

Post by Dyani » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:13 pm

Now that my grammar mishap is in 3 copies, y'all can see how focused I tend to be, heh.
pknumba1 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:28 pm
I'm the same as you. I have an ebook about learning Japanese in 90 days and I haven't even looked at it. I rely on Japanese variety shows and dramas to teach me. :P
I have so many books and ebooks, for various languages. I should stop hoarding and telling myself "some day...", seriously.
I like that the Japanese variety shows use subs, made some kanji more recognizable to me.

iheartaiba wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:41 pm
The city where I currently live does offer Japanese courses but I don't have any motivation to study anything anymore. Too bad the town where I grew up didn't offer any Japanese courses.
After 5 years in uni and additional 2 years in a different school, I don't feel like studying full-time anymore either. I'd probably make an exception for a Japanese course in a language school though, if it was available - the lessons are usually once or twice a week, for 1-2 hours, I could deal with that. I regret not finding out sooner that there was a Japanese course at my uni, in the same building I was spending most of my 4th and 5th year (it was a big building lol). I only found out during my last semester.
pknumba1
サクラ咲ケ
サクラ咲ケ

Post by pknumba1 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:47 pm

That's the thing about teaching yourself. You're either all in or not. There are times when you'll be eating and sleeping the subject your studying and then suddenly you stop everything cold turkey and nothing happens for months. Or years.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:24 pm

pknumba1 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:47 pm
That's the thing about teaching yourself. You're either all in or not. There are times when you'll be eating and sleeping the subject your studying and then suddenly you stop everything cold turkey and nothing happens for months. Or years.

Couldn't have said it better :thumbsup:

I bought a few books for my sister a year ago and she has liked them. I was going to buy the same books for myself but I still haven't done that :x She has "Japanese Hiragana & Katakana for Beginners" and "Japanese Kanji for Beginners" by Tuttle, and "Japanese Essential Course" by Living Language.
Stulti
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by Stulti » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:10 pm

a guest lecturer at my university recommended the Basic Kanji Book vol 1 from Bojinsha. it is really nice, because it has at least in the beginning pictures with the kanji and some work book stuff where you repeat the kanji from earlier lessons as well as the new ones. but the thing is I started and after not looking into it for several month I should start from the beginning because I have no idea about the stroke order -.- (or in some cases the kanji as it is)

but I just read the first thing with japanese you should do is learn communication and later fill in the kanji... still not sure how that should work but well.

I also tried to tranlate koisora (the book) in to german, but every so often there was a kanji I so didn't get and after looking it up I was like :tired: I know what the word means, but I didn't know the kanji was this word. and the 2 or more kanji words are so hard to research (or I don't have the right resources)
hoshinomi
IROあせないで
IROあせないで

Post by hoshinomi » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:09 am

I would love to take the JLPT someday. I took the online mock exams and passed 5 and 4. I would have to study for 3. I did have some formal instruction in high school and college, but the majority of what I learn now is through Japanese tv shows, but it's so different from "book" Japanese. The main downside of only listening and reading, however, is that you don't have much of an opportunity to practice speaking and writing.
Chu_Chu
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by Chu_Chu » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:12 pm

I'll start to learn japanese next month, I'm sure it'll be hard but I'm really happy to have this opportunity.
Mura_Kaze
PIKA☆NCHI
PIKA☆NCHI

Post by Mura_Kaze » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:51 am

I got N5 looooooong time ago XD And know I forget a lot lol

For me, I never take Japanese school or course. I just learn anything from fashion or music magazines :) My friends from Japan mostly a visual kei fans, bandomen (band member), and gyaru. They talk different language from most Japanese people XD
yruvian
PIKA☆NCHI
PIKA☆NCHI

Post by yruvian » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:01 am

I'm learning it with the help of www.memrise.com. So far it works pretty well, I've only skipped a few days. It's going slower than I'd like, but I am starting to understand quite a bit by now (switched to memrise around December last year). Reading is very slow, but getting better as well.

I do have a few textbooks, but only for Grammar... and I bought some easy Japanese books (with English glossary).

Of course Arashi helps a lot, especially with keeping me motivated XD.
pastelpenguin
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by pastelpenguin » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:13 am

I registered for this December's JLPT for N3 (I passed N4 last year) but unfortunately the payment deadline slipped my mind. OTL
Hopefully by next year, I'd be around N2 level. I had formal class for 3 months last year, now it's all self-study.
The books are very pricey so I rely mostly on apps like Tangoristo, Kanji Tree, etc. plus having my Twitter filled with Japanese helps too.
Mura_Kaze
PIKA☆NCHI
PIKA☆NCHI

Post by Mura_Kaze » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:52 am

Have all of you try Kanji Study? Basically a free app. But if you want full kanji learn, you can buy it no more than USD10.

You can learn the stroke, search meaning and some example sentences. For me this app help a lot to learn the stroke :)
pastelpenguin
SUNRISE日本
SUNRISE日本

Post by pastelpenguin » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:49 pm

Mura_Kaze wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:52 am
Have all of you try Kanji Study? Basically a free app. But if you want full kanji learn, you can buy it no more than USD10.

You can learn the stroke, search meaning and some example sentences. For me this app help a lot to learn the stroke :)
Yes,I tried Kanji Study and was really helpful when I just started.
Have yet to buy the full version due to not having an online bank account.
yruvian
PIKA☆NCHI
PIKA☆NCHI

Post by yruvian » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:11 pm

Mura_Kaze wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:52 am

No apps for me. My phone is old enough for a driver's license, so it can't do more than SMS and calls. It's battery takes almost three weeks before it needs reloading though...
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:35 pm

Phone apps can be very useful. It's great that it's so much easier to get an access to study materials now than what it was like 10 years ago.