2018 Year in Review

Talk about the Fab Five here.

Moderator: iheartaiba

Forum rules
Only Arashi discussions without polls or tests. Posts with polls etc. belong to Yes? No?.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

2018 Year in Review

Post by iheartaiba » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:55 pm

2018 is nearing the end, and now it's a good time to look back and weigh in. How was the past year for you as a fan? Did you find a new favourite song? Experienced something amazing? Or perhaps you were disappointed at something Arashi did?

Just a reminder, in 2018 we got:
- three singles (Find the Answer, Natsu Hayate, Kimi no Uta)
- one concert video (Arashi Live Tour 2017-2018 「untitled」)
- three dramas (Jun's 99.9 -Keiji Senmon Bengoshi- season II, Nino's Black Pean and Aiba's Boku to Shippo to Kagurazaka)
- two films (Sho's Laplace's Witch and Nino's Kensatsugawa no Zainin)

=============================================

In 2018 my focus shifted from Aiba to Nino. It wasn't intentional though (and Aiba is still my ichiban). A weibo user who used to upload Aiba's shows in ts format disappeared and I was "left" with "only" regular Arashi shows and Nino's stuff. Instead of watching Aiba Manabu or Gutto! Sports I started to watch Nino-san. I wasn't new to the show, I just hadn't liked it much before 'cause the show was (and still is) quite talk heavy. But I've come to like it. That, and Nino's splendid acting in Black Pean and all the nice promos he did with Kimura Takuya made this year the year of Nino to me :D

We got other great dramas and films too, and untitled was such a great concert! Every single released this year has at least one song I really like so I guess I have nothing to complain about. Natsu Hayate still cheers me up and I love the choreography :heart:

I know the 20th anniversary celebrations continue in 2019, but if there's something to be disappointed at then I'd say the lack of Arashi documentary. Even a special video interview of them talking about their career and the past shows would have been great. Fingers crossed we get many many nice things in 2019 :)

pknumba1
Cool & Soul
Cool & Soul

Re: 2018 Year in Review

Post by pknumba1 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:17 am

This year as my third as an Arashian, I continued to listen to their music and discover new songs. Some of them were the ones that released this year, and others were older ones I've had for a while and never listened to all the way through. I'm sure everyone does that with every band, right? For some reason, this year didn't feel super active as far as acting projects go. Maybe because we were a little spoiled last year, or the year before when almost all of them had a drama that year or a movie. Their stuff was all spread out, but the number of things we got from them was nice. I do wish the fandom was a little more active like they used to be on tumblr and livejournal. I feel like I missed so much when people were constantly making things. But I'll stop complaining now. If I knew how to make all that stuff, I would. Believe me.

Every week this year I looked forward to the newest VSA or AniShi. That's what kept me going. :)
yruvian
PIKA☆NCHI
PIKA☆NCHI

Post by yruvian » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:19 pm

This year my second favourite Arashi drama changed... because of Black Pean. For a moment I thought it would even dethrone Uta no oniisan, but I think they're just about sharing the first spot.

Natsu Hayate has become one of my top favourite numbers, though not on first place either. Definitely my favourite single of the year though.

[Untitled] however managed to get all the way to first place, dethroning The Digitalian. I hope they'll do an Arashi-kai in the future as well.

I ordered my first (English subtitled) Arashi movies this year (though both are still in preorder) and found out it won't be that much longer before I run out of Arashi original albums/concert DVDs to buy from Yesasia.

The only slight disappointment was the lack of a new album, though I still expect the 5x20 album to be released next year. I guess the concert DVD will only be for 2020 too considering I read somewhere that the tour is going to take a full year.
iheartaiba
Aibakaland Founder
Aibakaland Founder

Post by iheartaiba » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:47 pm

pknumba1 wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:17 am
I do wish the fandom was a little more active like they used to be on tumblr and livejournal. I feel like I missed so much when people were constantly making things. But I'll stop complaining now. If I knew how to make all that stuff, I would. Believe me.
Aibakaland is my one and pretty much the only place for fangirling (I update my dw and lj with download links but that's all) so I'm not really up to date what's going on in this fandom in general. Was the fandom more active on tumblr and other social media platforms last year compared to this year?

pknumba1 wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:17 am
Every week this year I looked forward to the newest VSA or AniShi. That's what kept me going. :)
Any particular episode or guest you liked this year?

yruvian wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:19 pm
Natsu Hayate has become one of my top favourite numbers, though not on first place either. Definitely my favourite single of the year though.
A+ taste ;)
pknumba1
Cool & Soul
Cool & Soul

Post by pknumba1 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:25 pm

iheartaiba wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:47 pm
Aibakaland is my one and pretty much the only place for fangirling (I update my dw and lj with download links but that's all) so I'm not really up to date what's going on in this fandom in general. Was the fandom more active on tumblr and other social media platforms last year compared to this year?
That's what some people on tumblr are saying. The fandom used to be more active with posts and blogs, but everyone seemed to have moved to twitter. I don't do twitter. I can't handle that much social media. :3
iheartaiba wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:47 pm
Any particular episode or guest you liked this year?

Oh sheesh, there are quite a few. I like any sempai and kouhai collaborations. And the vsa episodes when an arashi member was on the opposing team. I also loved the 10th anniversary special. For some reason, it didn't feel as big to me as it should have. Maybe if they brought back some of the really old games, like jungle bingo or a few others. I was really happy to see Toma be their teammate.